dry fly rod

S

SteveG

I'm in the market for a 4wt and was reading reviews of the st Croix imperial 8'6" 4wt and the Echo Edge 8' 4wt. I was looking to take them for a test drive, and prefer buy from a real fly shop.

Does anyone know of any small fly shops that carry either, within 1 1/2hrs of Harrisburg? I saw the local BassPro carries the st Croix, and Cabelas in Hamburg carries the Echo. Or, if anyone on the forum has one and doesn't mind meeting up, I'll buy lunch.

There are a few fly shops in your area. I think Yellow Breaches Outfitters, and Clousers Fly Shop

Clousers is closed...I think they still sell online.

Bob Clouser Jr. is the head guy in the fly shop at Bass Pro and all the guys in that dept. are good.

Cabelas has Sage, Winston, St Croix, TFO, Echo and Cabelas brands. Bass Pro has TFO, Orvis, Bass Pro models, a few St Croix and a few Loomis. Depending when you are going, I'd ride along. No need to buy me lunch, I'm plenty fat already.

What kind of stick are you looking for?

Krayfish2, I'm not sure yet, but you're more than welcome. I'm looking for something medium-fast, with accuracy under 40' a priority. Some reviews said the Echo Edge loads easily, and recovers fast, which has me intrigued. Priority is for smaller dry flies.

I'll have to call Cabelas and see if I can cast some there, already have that blessing at BassPro.

I'm not beyond picking up a used rod either.

An 8'6" 4 weight is a very good all around dry fly rod.
I have an old Orvis HLS in that size, and it's my most used rod.

I don't know about the St Croix.
But I do have an Echo Carbon - although in a 9' 5 weight - and it's a really nice rod for the money IMO

Yo Steve - what waters and conditions are you thinking of? My DF sticks for Tricos and midging tend to be shorter than ones for big streams. If you want to refine your tastes for actions, I have a bunch that we could try out on a sample stream.

hp
les

Lestrout, mostly smaller water like Spring Creek, Yellow Breeches and the CV limestoners.

I'll take you up on that offer. Worst case scenario, I wait until I can try a few at Somerset next month.

Steve - sounds like you will want an 8 footer, give or take 6 inches?

Yeah, was thinking around 8'-8'6". Whichever I'm more accurate with haha

also look at the TFO Finesse. I have the 8'6" 4wt and love it for dry fishing. it also can do nymphing well.

I have the St. Croix Imperial in an 8'6' 4wt and I would highly recommend that rod. It is a great rod for the price.

Thanks everyone for the advise. I'm looking forward to casting a few different rods at Somerset. I'll be going on Friday.

Back