Dry fly line

Tom,

Yeah, I'd sure try it for that price - but don't think I'll ever shell out a C-note for it.
Pretty strange to have to worry about cutting your finger on fly line

dryflyguy wrote:
Tom,

Yeah, I'd sure try it for that price - but don't think I'll ever shell out a C-note for it.

Me neither and I really like it. I'd say that discounted Orvis or the 333 lines are the biggest bang for the buck. If you have cash to burn. Buy a good SA or Rio. You'll get what you pay for but anything over 40 bucks is too much.

Orvis is having atrade in program where they give you 25% off Wonderline by sending in your old line. Not a bad deal if anyone's looking for Orvis line.

I am pretty tough of my lines and the rocky streams I fish don't help me much. I have had pretty good luck with the lower end lines from Orvis. I get a year or 2 out of them. They cast and float well for me.

I bought rio selective trout this weekend, when I put yet another cut in my Rio Grand. It was an expensive "bad cast" knot. I didn't like the fact that Rio was the only choice, and I didn't like the price.

Here's to hoping it works out well for me.

I'm going to weigh in with a thumbs up on the Sharkskin too. I thought it was something of an over-priced novelty until I spent a weekend with one on my 7weight recently. Wow. I still like my wonderlines and Rios but does this thing ever shoot through the guides! I just picked up a magnum taper 8 to take to Ontario next week to fish on the lakes. I'm curious too about it picking up grit and green stuff.

Bruno,
i have tried airflo- wasnt impressed too much memory,tried sci angler #4 darn coating is bumby and impedes smoth casting, tried orvis andhad issues with line cracking and peeling,i started out with cortland 444 and used em for years ,then i tried these others and blew alot of cash,then about 7 years ago i bought a windcutter by Rio for my big river fihing ( Lehigh,Delaware) and also bought their selective trout lines too i have windcutters in 4,5,6 and also a Windcutter spey 5/6 i use on my Gloomis Metolius Trout spey rod.for my money i'd stick with the windcutters or selective trout lines and then get a cortland 444 as a backup.In the Past from the moment i started flyfishing till 7 years ago i used double tapers exclusively,but my tastes have changed now unless i spool up a 444 i use only weight fowards,i recently picked up a Rio gold line to fart around with too ...jury is still out on that though because i haven't rigged it up and spooled it yet. And for a note the windcutter lay it out real delicately and the smooth pool browns and bows and brookies dont mind gettin fooled!
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

Dry fly guy-

Just cleaned the sharkskin for the first time the other night. It is a year and a half old. I never felt there was an accumulation of junk in the detents on the line. Mine does not "sing" as much as it used to going through the guides. Or else I am getting deafer (word?) each year, or used to the sound. The singing bothers some folks. Drives guides nuts.

Last week I did the chuck and duck thing with streamers for about four hours waiting for the insects to make an appearance. I don't do that often. I am a dry fly guy, but the screen name was already taken :-D I was concerned about my fingers from stripping so much. At the end of the day there was not a mark on my fingers.

I understand where some folks are coming from on price. With my Sharkskin I have fished still water lakes in Kalifornia for trout (long casts, very long floats), spring creeks in Eastern Washington (long delicate casts, long floats), large water such as the Willamette in Oregon, and my fav the Delaware. These are demanding waters on your equipment, more so than something like Big Fishing Creek (the prettiest of all of them) where casts and drifts are shorter. This be some very good flyline. Better than anything I have ever owned, and it is all that I will buy going forward.

I used to sell automatic machinery (woodworking). We had a $15000 machine and an $18000 machine. The 15k one had manual feed, the 18k one had automatic feed. Every customer that bought the 15k machine was happy they saved the 3K. Every customer that bought the 18K machine said it was the best 3K they ever spent. Maybe it is the same with fly lines.

JG

I am a big fan of the Air-FLo Ridgelines link

GreenWeenie wrote:
I take excellent care of my lines removing, cleaning with water, drying, lightly stretching and then re-wrapping the line on the original spool after each use

You are kidding right?? Do you not have a life and have time to put the line back on the original spool after every use??

Unbelievable and a new low for PAflyfish

Nope not kidding. What’s so unbelievable and a new low about it?

Removing it takes at most 10 minutes from start to finish and it takes all of 3 minutes to put it back on and it keeps the line in great casting condition for years.

BTW, I forgot to mention that maybe every 5th or 6th use I’ll remove the leader and feed the entire line into a nice strong current so the current straightens any minor line twists that might have developed.

Back