do you carry bear spray?

I have only had a few surprise/chance encounters with bears, but they happened when I was fishing solo, so not talking and making noise that would have probably caused the bears to leave.

In places where I have been close to bears, I try to remember to make noise in areas with low visibility.

The only confirmed and reported human fatality by a black bear in Pennsylvania was by a bear that was kept as a pet. Because it eas not a wild bear, it is not on the states records.

I carry a 357 mag scandium. It is very light weight and fits right in the front of my wader pouch. I grew up in central PA and bears were always around so you kind of get used to them and not scared of them when in close range. However I guess if a bear attacked me and ate me that would be a better way to go than others.

good to keep this in perspective, imho:

"The most deadly animal in the United States is not the grizzly bear, rattlesnake, mountain lion or other dangerous animal. In fact, the peaceful white-tailed deer causes more human deaths each year than any other animal.

Deer may not have sharp teeth or claws, and they are herbivores. But there are an estimated 27 million deer in the country, and they can run up to 36 miles per hour. So when that many deer run that fast and cross a road it many will get hit by a car.

While the exact number of deaths and injuries caused by a deer colliding with a car is not known, the United States Department of Transportation estimates 130 deaths per year from deer vehicle accidents. Also, an estimated 1.5 million vehicle deer accidents every year result in 29,000 injuries. In comparison to other animals, grizzly bears, black bears and polar bears combined only account for five to 10 human deaths per year."

The_Sasquatch wrote:
..bears breaking into houses and cabins to attack people? Dang.

This happens when people feed bears, over a period of time the bears learn to associate people with food.

shortrod wrote:
This happens when people feed bears, over a period of time the bears learn to associate people with food.

One of my favorite things about humanity. We do stupid crap. The animals adapt to it...the situation we create becomes dangerous...so then we want to kill them. As a species, we're kind of idiots :pint:

:-D

Attachments

• 1010527_527012260679143_347311587_n.jpg
    1010527_527012260679143_347311587_n.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 5
The_Sasquatch wrote:
That's your new pool, isn't it?

Why do you think I invited you to take the 6 hour drive? Who wouldn't want to see some black bears swimming with a Sasquatch? :hammer:

Do you have any rafts and little umbrellas for my mixed drinks?

No bear spray, they've always run from me, just like women do. But I saw the biggest bear I've ever seen in PA over the weekend on the road along Babb Creek, he was bigger then a 100 lb. propane tank, and his belly was dragging on the ground.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Do you have any rafts and little umbrellas for my mixed drinks?

In fact the kids do have a few rafts and I will pick up some of those umbrellas for you. That pool is going to be pretty tight with you and all of those bears ;-)

The_Sasquatch wrote:
What!? I don't like those odds. That's more black bear attacks than I would have thought. Dang it! I better arm up when I"m in the Smokey's this Fall. What's up w/ Canadian black bear attacks, also...bears breaking into houses and cabins to attack people? Dang.
People being careless. Always make some noise in the woods, and if things suddenly get quiet, make more noise. Whistle and if you can't, carry one.

They don't like ammonia. Use it at my cabin which is becoming over-run with bears, keeps them at bay.

I've never carried any.
And I fish some very remote areas. Have never been threatened - so far anyway

I don't know about bears but it works well on people who think they have to fish the same run or pool as you on an otherwise empty stream.

I don't know about bears but it works well on people who think they have to fish the same run or pool as you on an otherwise empty stream.

No. Of the 15 or so bears I have seen in Pa, every single one of them has run away once it realized I was a human. If you're close enough to hit a bear with spray, you're prolly going to get mauled anyway. It's the bear that doesn't run, that might change your world. I just break small branches/twigs while walking to let a bear know something is around. Bears don't like company.

wildtrout2 wrote:
No. Of the 15 or so bears I have seen in Pa, every single one of them has run away once it realized I was a human. If you're close enough to hit a bear with spray, you're prolly going to get mauled anyway. It's the bear that doesn't run, that might change your world. I just break small branches/twigs while walking to let a bear know something is around. Bears don't like company.

I've been dealing with bears at our cabin near Kettle Creek State Park since 1975. Please don't think for a minute that all bears run away, or even walk away. Only 2 bears I encountered this year ran away (out of 25+-). They become used to humans, now more-so than ever before. We don't feed them, but other camps on the mountain do. Discharge a firearm and they come back half an hour later following any scent of food they can smell. I now lay a line of ammonia around the porch and at the door to discourage them, especially since one particular bear tried to get into the door in April. I had to blockade the door with a picnic bench They are a pain in my azz.

And I've had several encounters along creeks where they just stand their ground. By the way, like other animals, they don't like eye contact.

Thanks for your concern, but I don't think that ALL bears run from humans. I was just saying that every one I've encountered ran from me. Like I said though, it's the ones that don't run that can be trouble. Almost all of the bears I have seen were in remote areas with very few, if any cabins/people around.

Being in an area where there are people feeding them, or leaving scraps around will embolden a bear without a doubt. In these cases you really need to be on your toes. I honestly think spraying a bear might even make him more pissed off!

Back