Did you ever just lose your mojo?

Steve,

My friend taught me how to FF on the Gunpowder, so I know it quite well. One recommendation is to move slower and walk up when nymphing and never fish down stream unless fishing dries. In the summer, a lot of the gunpowder browns will be in the fastest runs and they will lie in the current seems. Try to imagine that you're a trout. Where will you want to swim to maximize your food intake without expending energy? Be sure to completely hit every run and seam of a riffle. For instance, there's a very fast riffle at the base of the trail (down stream side) from the upper falls road parking lot. There is a boulder where many people cross to access the other side. Well, I've seen very few anglers ever fish it because it "looks" to fast. I've had banner days standing below the run catching fish after fish in that run. That's just an example of one run and the Gun is loaded with fast runs just like it. The trout will not be as selective in fast water as they are in slower moving water. Thus, increasing your success for catching them.

Lastly, I know many anglers do not like using small flies. However, fishing midge pupa / larvae imitations in the 20-28 range has been the most important key to my success on the gunpowder. My friend and I strained it inbetween the old beaver dam by the upper parking area on falls rd. It was mind blowing to see all the midge larve in the loose gravel. It changed the game for us. I'm confident that ANY time I go to the Gun that I will catch fish based on that discovery.

Hope this helps you Steve

midgeman wrote:
For instance, there's a very fast riffle at the base of the trail (down stream side) from the upper falls road parking lot. There is a boulder where many people cross to access the other side. Well, I've seen very few anglers ever fish it because it "looks" to fast.

Funny you mention that spot - I always fish it and have caught nice fish swinging soft hackles in front of that very rock! Thanks for the other info as well.

Back