Delaware Float Guide?

"I thought the backing just made a nice contrasting colour for the line...? You mean it serves a purpose?!?"

Well I wouldn't be surprised if at least half the guys on this forum seldom have seen the backing running through their guides due to a fish somewhere on the other end.

guide had that hand glove thing. was always wet before touching fish

jdaddy
Hey, those "hand net" things that are so popular among the steelbow crowd. They cool to use on real fish? I would assume it would remove a lot of the slime layer.

Obviously the best all around thing to do is never hook the fish in the mouth to begin with, let alone remove it from the water. But, we all like catching the fish and snapping a pic. I agree that even wet, the mitts can abraid the slime layer, but how much worse is that than fumbling around and dropping the fish 4 times before you snap a pic? The goal is to snap a pic as quickly as possible and get the fish back in the water ASAP. A mit helps that process.

The happiest and most reasonable solution is to stop worrying about the stupid pic. I think your post neglects that obvious option. Imo of course.

I was just curious. That's all.

I picked one up for SR fishing instead of carrying beast net. But again, I have little regard for those fish. I had never saw anyone use a tailing glove or whatever it is called anywhere other than steelbow territory.

jayL wrote:
The happiest and most reasonable solution is to stop worrying about the stupid pic. I think your post neglects that obvious option. Imo of course.

That's cool. If it's not your thing, don't take the pics. But don't look down on folks that like to snap the pic. It's their preference and it's certainly no indication of their self esteem or otherwise. It's all of our own choices as to how we want to relive the memory. As we have over-stated many times, there is nothing in fishing that is for the fish. So even hooking them is the wrong thing if you are truly looking out for them. One thing we can all agree on, handle the fish as respectfully as possible. And I think we can also agree on the fact that everyone on the forum is in a different stage of their fishing and in life. What we think about these issues today will have developed and be different 5 years from now. Don't be harsh with those whom are not where you are, because you would not be where you are today if everyone had treated you that way ;-)

jdaddy wrote:
I was just curious. That's all.

I picked one up for SR fishing instead of carrying beast net. But again, I have little regard for those fish. I had never saw anyone use a tailing glove or whatever it is called anywhere other than steelbow territory.

I use mine when I'm likely to be catching anything 20ish inches or larger. They can be pretty handy at times, but I agree, if the fish seems like you can handle it without dropping it....forget the glove.

When we were in MI salmon fishing last month, I had on a 30lb king and my buddy hooked into a coho at the same time. He had laid the net on the bank, knowing the king was going to take a while. So he did not have net we the ho hit. Both fish dropped and we got down stream from the net. He was just above me on the river. As the ho started getting tired, my king was just sitting in a deep hole. I slipped the glove on and tailed the ho as it dropped back to me. It would have actually made a funny pic with me holding the rod with a 30lb king in my left hand and that colored up coho in the other.

Anyway...the glove has its place, but as with everything it can be bad if misused.

I thought backing was putting an extra twelve-pack in the cooler.

"They cool to use on real fish? I would assume it would remove a lot of the slime layer."

I like to use the hand net for steelhead because I don't like taking a big *** net along with me and I don't like to see the those beautiful fish flopping around on the shale and rocks of the Great Lake rivers and streams. I can quickly control a fish and more easily remove the hook with it thrashing around and maybe hooking me or hurting itself.

As one other poster so aptly commented any kind of fishing is not in the best interest of the quarry. If we are all so concerned about the fish - stop fishing because it will always be a blood sport.

I've caught hundreds of steelhead and other than a few I kept three years ago every other released fish swam away strongly and most did their best to flip their tails and spash water in my face. I think steelhead do better, in the catch & release aspect, than the rainbows, browns, and brookies, that we release from all other non-migratory watersheds possibly because the water is much colder throughout the season and the fish themselves are just much stronger due in part to their larger size and strength from eating so well in the Great Lakes.

thanks for the suggestions on drift boat guides, i have never floated the Delaware,I have lived along it most of my life farher down stream in Easton.I however have done a bit of wading up there on the Upper Delaware an West Branch...it is possible to have a good day numberswise...but they are few an far between,treasure those days this river can be fickle an send ya home with yer tail between your legs.It also has some pretty big browns as well as rainbows.The Browns can be as big as medium size Lake Ontario Trib Browns 10-14 pounds..can't tell ya the number of times i have seen fish this size on the West Branch tailing while pullin at vegetation for nymphs an scuds after they rooted they drift back and gobble up the dislodged food items,i have seen them along the banks on some runs too for a split second ..i was complacent an walked right on em.
I have been down Calicoon a few separate times an seen a pod of bows taking Baetis off like they were at the Lil Lehigh during Tricos before they have been hooked to death an get fly shy.
One thing i can tell you is that if you yourself can go up there an find fish,figure out what they are taking {multiple hatches can be excruciatingly frustraighting}you can fish anywhere in the world an catch fish.This river is as technical as Silver Creek in Idaho Or the Henry's Fork or the Hat or Fall rivers out west.
Tailwaters usually are the cream of the crop aside from limestoners an spring creeks.I havent fished for trout as long as some on the Delaware ive been goin up since the early 90's.But i have fished the river itself since i was four with my dad.
There are two rivers in Pa that fish will regularly show you your backing at times..The Delaware...and The Lehigh. fish in big water with strong currents get a hell of alot stronger than regular stream trout.

+1 for these guys!

Attachments

• P6100118.jpg
    P6100118.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 2
  • CC1.JPG
    CC1.JPG
    371.9 KB · Views: 2
There was some very good advice on this thread. The bottom line is there is no way one can suggest a guide unless you know what the client wants. To be honest, if a client wants to go to the D and fish dry flies no matter what, not talk, and not have a good ole time then I would definitely recommend they go with someone else.

On the other hand, if a guy/gal wants to float the river, take what it offers and have a great time together than I would be more than confident that they are a good fit for our group.

It all depends what you want.

Oh yeah, and if someone wants to go up in the rain and cold, float 22 miles in a day. fish your butt off, and catch about 8-10 of the biggest browns they ever saw then we are DEFINITELY your game...

+1 for CCAS!

Attachments

• P6180014.JPG
    P6180014.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 2
TDB wrote:
There was some very good advice on this thread. The bottom line is there is no way one can suggest a guide unless you know what the client wants. To be honest, if a client wants to go to the D and fish dry flies no matter what, not talk, and not have a good ole time then I would definitely recommend they go with someone else.

On the other hand, if a guy/gal wants to float the river, take what it offers and have a great time together than I would be more than confident that they are a good fit for our group.

It all depends what you want.

Oh yeah, and if someone wants to go up in the rain and cold, float 22 miles in a day. fish your butt off, and catch about 8-10 of the biggest browns they ever saw then we are DEFINITELY your game...

:-o.........Stilesville to Callicoon!!!!! Bring it on!!!........;-)

Great Lot of good info.. CCAS,do you do float trips on the upper Delaware??

Jwatts, I think that is where they do most of their trips.

Stilesville to Calicoon isn't a float trip, it an epic journey! Not saying it has never been done but it just doesn't sound like my idea of a fun day. The guide must have the shoulders of a linebacker to row through the miles and miles of long pools, unless of couerse he has an electric motor assist.

Jwatts, yes we do a decent amount of trips to the Upper D - can't get enough!

And WBranch, your right, it is an adventure. I've never runa guide trip on that length, but I think it would be a great "event" if you had the right people. When we do it on our own we take a bunch of gear and sometimes two boats and have a heckuva good time with overnight accomodations and the whole bit. Conditions have to be right to alleviate the rowing...:)

Tight lines

TB

Back