copper and brown stones and others

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I had about an hour and a half to work with yesterday so I whipped up a couple flies and hit the stream. Copper and brown is my go to winter pattern color of choice. I bought some of these Gamakatsu B10S hooks for streamers but wanted to try them on trout. I will put up the full adventure on the main forum, but I am half afraid to use these things on fish. LOL

I caught 2 fish and a rock on the stones, and the rest were on the smaller nymphs pictured. I say I caught the rock because literally I thought I had a take, set the hook, and pulled the rock in. The hook literally penetrated the sandstone rock and hung there. I pinched the barbs on them, but still these things are nasty.

I uploaded the pic of the sucker and the hook blew through his jaw bone.

The decent brown I had caught on them, the hook was pointed upwards and must have hit in his eye area, as when I was removing the fly you can see his eye move.

I dunno I love how these wide gap hooks function, but I am not in it to cause injury to the fish. I mean I know a barbless hook is supposed to be better for them, but what would it be like for us to have a 16 penny nail shoved behind our eyes and removed?

I am still up in the air on using them, but you cant deny they are WICKED HOOKS! LOL

Attachments

• copper and brown.jpg
    copper and brown.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 7
  • copper and brown 3.jpg
    copper and brown 3.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 3
  • copper and bronw 5.jpg
    copper and bronw 5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 3
  • cold.jpg
    cold.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 3
  • copper and brown sucker 2.jpg
    copper and brown sucker 2.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 3
  • hooked rock.jpg
    hooked rock.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 4
I'm not sure they are the best choice for nymph hooks (or to use for small to medium trout in general) due to their large size. I don't know much about those hooks, maybe try a smaller size in the same style if they make them.

I'm not sure I'd use a hook that big for a Salmon or Steelhead nymph (based on what your pic looks like), but thats just me. To me, its kind of like using size 1/0 hook with a nightcrawler for smallmouth bass. You can use a size 6 with the same nightcrawler and catch just as many fish.

Tiemco and Daiichi make pretty sharp hooks, they might be a better choice for nymph hooks because they make them in smaller sizes.

I am waiting on a bunch of Daicchi hooks to come in, and is what I am planning on using, but I never tied on any wide gap type hooks. I am trying their S10 hooks and seeing how they do, But even then, they still concern me. Maybe I am over thinking it as its something new for me. LOL

I am not sure what the problem is using these as nymph hooks. B10S in size 2, 4, 6 is called for in the majority articulated streamers for trout. I believe you have the potential for fish injury any time you start getting into bigger hooks. So personally I wouldn't' worry about it much.

Some stones are big bugs which require pretty big hooks. Nice ties mike as usual

Thanks Nomad, just don't want to be out the gouging up my buddies. LOL

mike_richardson wrote:
Thanks Nomad, just don't want to be out the gouging up my buddies. LOL

I hear ya man. I feel the same way when I foul hook one with a streamer. Its like sorry buddy didn't mean to catch you in the side of the face or in the tail.

Nomad, you aren't going to hook many small fish on adv articulated streamer. You will with a large nymph. I'm not disparaging the op at all, I just gave my opinion that they might not be the best hooks for nymphs.

Back