Commission hopes for multiyear fishing licenses

Bringing this thread back from the dead as it came up when I was doing a random search for something else.

What do you all think now a few years later, and did you end up buying a multi-year license once this took effect?

It worked out well for me last year because my parents can never think of something to buy me (typically $100 or less for Christmas), so I just had them buy me a 3-year license since they knew I would use it.

what is going to happen when the commish runs out of money?
no more stocking, then our wild streams will be all that is left...
looks like there will be more people fishing for carp on the fly.

btw..i bought the 5 year license.

i bought a multi year license

Multi-year license for me too

One mistake was raising the out of state license fee. For an agency crying about license sales this move seems short sighted. The commission's own research shows a significant decrease in sales every time license costs increase. Another result has been increased license fees for Pennsylvania residents in neighboring states. I like to travel and until recently maintained fishing licenses in multiple states. The current costs make it prohibitive.

Every angler likes to keep his prime fishing spots to himself, but fishing tourism may be the very thing that saves our streams for future generations. The oil and gas industry has deep pockets and from my observations, anglers are losing the battle against these interests.

By promoting and developing blue ribbon rivers and streams greater protection may be afforded them because of public awareness and use. Instead of trying to create new anglers, why not attract those who already fish and have a love for the sport?

I think its criminal that Pennsylvania has more coldwater and wild trout resources than many western states yet we continue to neglect and mismanage them.

How bout some catch and release areas for Erie steelhead streams? Less than 1 percent of the total miles of trout waters are delayed harvest or catch and release. Can't these programs be expanded?

Protect native brook trout streams.
Why is harvest allowed? I have no problems with anglers keeping hatchery fish. but this is no longer the good old days. The eastern brook trout is extremely threatened. Its time to protect it. I realize while the results of the brook trout enhancement program were mixed, factors such as hooking mortality due to bait, and increased angler pressure because of program advertisement were not considered. Many streams included in the program had habitat limitations which naturally hindered populations and growth of the natives.

Implementation of this program for all wild brook trout streams might have yielded better results. Shenandoah National Park and the state of Maryland have adopted artificial lure catch and release programs for native brook trout populations. Larger brook trout are common as a result.

Fee fishing areas.
Pay to play. This may sound somewhat elitest, but it has been successful in Virginia and an option for those intent on harvesting fish. This may be the future.

I have purchased my multiyear license with trout and Erie tributary stamp. I have done my part, now PFBC do yours.

The commission's own research shows a significant decrease in sales every time license costs increase.

True, but they also show an increase in license dollars which is what they're after. They have few ways around this.

I got the five year. I did it as a hedge against rising license fees in the future.

I have and will continue to purchase single year licenses. I fail to believe that any organization can really get a large splash of money and then properly budget it for years to come. I will continue to purchase annual licenses to ensure an annual stocking in my local streams. I have already noticed a decrease in state stocking, and an increase in privately funded stocking programs.

I understand the general feel is to decry farm raised trout in favor of native trout, but I'm just not that good of a fisherman yet. Give me my sacrificial trout and I'll give you one less fisherman on your native brook stream.

I got a 3 year. The only reason I didn't get the 5 year is because you never know, I could live in a different state or something in a few years.

I think it's handy for the angler. I question, though, what's gonna happen when income decreases for a short time. It'll eventually even out. But for the first year or so, I'm sure their revenue is increased substantially, because of all of us who bought multi-year licenses instead of singles. Hope they save it and don't use it all, because next year, we won't be buying licenses. So they'll get a big jump in revenue, to be followed by a big drop. After 5 years or so it'll even out.

I suppose, in the long run, it'll probably gain them money. As some of those people who buy multi-years may not have bought one every year. Some move away while the license is valid. Some maybe are 1 weekend a year types who get a license in some years, and not in others, but by getting the multi-year licenses they lock themselves in. Just hope they are planning for a year or two of deficit coming up.

The PFBC is being starved for revenues due to declining license sales with no increase in license fees for many years, and is trying to cut back services just to stay afloat.

Declining revenues coupled with increased costs and expenses equals tough times for FBC and the anglers that depend on them to enforce the laws and regulations, protect and enhance our streams, rivers, lakes, and enhance fishing.

While everyone wants to save some cash, but trying to spend less on licenses fees paid to the FBC may not be the best thing for our sport.

A-fish: Are you sure it doesn't equate to mis-management of funds?
There seams to be a lot of that going around and in areas where we least expect it.

We often debate that the commish spends too much on this and not enough on that, but unlike our taxes that go into that black hole we call the general fund, every dollar collected by the Commish is spent on something to benefit anglers and angling.

Whether it's your opinion that the Commish is spending their dollars wisely or not ( I think the dollars are well spent for the most part) the numbers themselves are are out there to see, like reading a prospectus for a stock you own or are looking to buy.

Current revenues (license sales) and projected revenues are down and costs and expenses are up. If the FBC were a stock.......I'd sell! (or not buy).

Again, IMO, not a good idea to starve the golden goose, or in this case, the golden rainbow......

I feel it is always good to be vigillant with respect to government agencies and functions, but also feel that it is way too easy and even more tempting to arm-chair quarterback them.

The PFBC does a pretty good job, in my opinion, managing the resource for ALL citizens. Maybe they don't favor your interests to your satisfaction, but they have a lot of other constituents to try to please, and those others don't think like you overwhelmingly.

Unfortunately Ray, once you move from the commonwealth your resident multiyear license becomes null and void and you are obligated to purchase a nonresident license. The commission just added some regulations regarding this a few months ago.

Bought the 3 year.

Didn't want the 5 year because I could die or move before the 5 years was up.

Back