Colorado trout fishing

South platte. Deckers. 11 mile. Cheeseman. Should be low winter flows and its a quick dive from DIA.

I fished CO for two weeks last year and did pretty well on cutthroats. Had two days were we got the grand slam and one day got it in under an hour. Fished the Big Thompson, Yampa and a number of other remote mountain streams. Can't wait to go back this year.

boogeyklat wrote:
Hey I am researching a trip in March to Colorado to fish and try out the new law! I have been doing a lot of research but figured I would narrow down my choices by posting to some experienced anglers that have fished the state.

So if I was planning a trip and wanted to do some hiking and wade fishing where should I consider. I would like to fly into Denver and not drive too far from the airport to stay. Maybe an hour or 2 from airport. I just want to get outdoors and fish. I don't have anything specific I'm looking for. I don't want to fish huge rivers because I don't have enough experience in them. I would love to mix in some small stream days because that what I'm used to here in pa. Basically I have a week off from being a new dad and would like to travel out west instead of salt for once. Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I don't get any responses I will try and pm some folks from this thread.

I am tempted to just book a place in rmnp. It seems like I could cover all my bases with a trip there.

I think March is likely to be too cold for good fishing in CO.

Arizona might be a better choice.

Having worked in Rocky Mtn. National Park, I'm pretty sure it'll be too snowed in for much fishing that time of year.

Thanks. I didn't even think of the snow. Oh well I have a week in the end of March away from the family. I guess I will head south for the blue waters. What's the best time of year for rmnp?

Any suggestions for Florida? Diy action? I was in Marco island last year and had a kayak and caught only lady fish and mangrove snapper. No reds or snook. I need to get away.

boogeyklat wrote:
What's the best time of year for rmnp?

We fished there in early August and had very good fishing.

I think around that time, when summer is at it's summeriest, is the time to go.

I wouldn't book a trip to CO to fish in March but if you decide to, there is plenty of water to fish. Flows should be nice as the snow melt won't have begun yet. Colorado is full of tailwaters. RMNP would not be ideal if the roads are even open then but I've fished the S Platte tailwaters in Jan, Feb, and March and if all else fails, drive south to Pueblo and fish the Ark.

One can catch plenty of fish in CO in March...stick to the tailwaters...S. Platte, Blue, Frying Pan and you will be fine

It's the first week on March. I will continue to do some research but someone mentioned Arizona too. What's the weather like in Co in early March? Are the hatches starting that early or would I be nymphing? Thanks for all the help. I been looking at the entire county and thinking about where I could go. My last resort is heading to central pa or up towards the west branch of Delaware. It will be cold but it will be a lot cheaper.

Back