Cloudveil 8x jacket

I don't really think 6-8 boxes is overkill. You just never know what the fish will be rising too on a good trout stream. Especially in May, when you're liable to see almost anything on the water. Once the main hatches are over in June, I could cut down on my flies. But I have plenty of room in my vest.

For gear - leader pouch, 2x -7x tippet spools. Dry and liquid floatant. nippers 2 pair hemos. flashlight. regular and sunglasses.
repellent and sunblock. TP - important!
And a packable raincoat and lunch in the large backpocket.
I'm just used to carrying all that, I guess. And I usually end up using a lot of it

Yeah, I don't carry nearly that much.

I only carry dry fly imitations that I expect to see as well as a few miscellaneous caddis, crane flies, some terrestrials, and some stimulators. It all fits in one, maybe two boxes. Then again, I'm obviously not a dry fly person.

I also have two nymph boxes and a streamer box.

It all fits in a fishing shirt/wading jacket and my waders.

To each his own.

dryfly, I was worried about that with the Richardson too, but I got one and love it. It's lighter and easier on my back, and the flies are more accessible and easier to organize, and I haven't had any trouble with walking with it. I struggled with a system for a long time but I'm sold now.

Ramcatt, The central PA limestoners are within 3-4 hrs of Yinzburgh. 500+ flies isn't 500+ varieties. I often carry 10+ copies of some of the flies I use most often, or whats in season. I may have 30 or more devoted to a single type of bug, as you have to have multiples in the nymph, emerger, dun, and spinner stages. I know there's something to be said for a minimalist approach and this ain't it, but 500 isn't all that ridiculous. There are guys who carry more than 1000 on the stream.

I don't tend to clean out my box of flies that aren't in season. Avoiding the extra 1/2 oz. of weight just isn't worth the trouble. Sure, my collection of a given bug grows and shrinks depending on the season. For instance, right now my BWO's are multiplying in preparation for the hatch but the trico's got pretty depleted in August/September and I haven't begun replacing them yet.

Vests are uncomfortable and give me a hell of a sore neck after a few hours.

When the weather is nice, I usually fish 10-12 hours without stopping. When I wore a vest, I had to return to shore and take it off every few hours.

Chest packs are clunky and get in the way.

That's my take, anyway.[/quote]

jay,

have you ever tired a nice simms vest...i had the same issue you did with my neck always hurting and now since i got one of there vest i don't have that problem anymore...i also agree with you that most people over carry stuff but its nice to have incase something goes wrong...i also have a chest pack and that doesn't bother me either..its a weight game and it has to be even on front and back!

i have a fishpond knock off that my wife got me at ganger mountain , nice big arm cut outs , mesh , i don't carry alot of stuff , orvis makes a nice sling that you slide arround to your back out of the way when u walk or cast , i thought about one. i too carry alot of flies , i don't normally go to the FFO only water at 6:30 to hit the last 2 hrs of sulfurs or whatever , i normally start at 4 with nymphs , then maybe streamers , then dries , unless of course they are rising at 4 then its a no brainer.

8x jacket arrived today and it's every thing I'd thought it be and more...First thing I noticed was how well the jacket fit me. I'm scrathing the tailor, like, fit off to luck..The hardshell gortex covers the top of the jacket, the hood, and top portions of sleeves..Still discovering features, will update review once I get it wet,,stay tuned..

nice duds, I like my Simms Pro with a Richardson

but really like just a box of the current hatch in a shirt pocket with a lanyard for leaders

LJ,
I have always gone Simms in the past, but found the new wading style, and sizing options, not a good fit for my needs..Waders fit too tight in the chest and I didn't like the way they felt in the crouch..I had a hard time finding my size..Went with a large/short, that didn't help either...Oh well, I tried simms but it didn't work out..Simms made in usa..Cloudveil made in china, which was the only bad thing about them..Plus, you can get the cloudveil stuff at half price right now, Simms never goes on sale..

Back