cleaning/improving inexpensive fly line..Or replace.

FishInPhilly

FishInPhilly

So i've started looking at fly lines just for research purposes to see what makes some very affordable, and some cost more than my ready to fish combo that i bought... It seems textures, coatings, and stretch are the variables. Now, I know the quality of my line is pretty awful. The pick ups have alot of water tension, mending significantly affects my drift etc. Is there a DIY way to clean/coat lines? or is it worth picking up some $40 cabela's prestige plus wf?

Im sure this has been a topic of much debate, but looking for some input on where to direct my research on the topic of fly line differences.

Thank you in advance!

I’ve read varying degrees of craziness regarding fly line cleaning and care. While I don’t bathe with and massage my fly line following each outing, I do clean it after 2 or 3 trips with Orvis Zip juice. This stuff definitely gets the majority of dirt off which will help with friction issues.

Personally, I can’t see spending more $ for expensive fly line than I paid for my classic/awesome Cortland GRF-1000 5/6 set-up. At some point I’ll probably bite the bullet and upgrade my rig, get the expensive stuff and join the wash/rinse/repeat club of expensive line users. But that’s not happening in the near future.

I use a line cleaner as well every so often, just to help preserve the line. Even with that I will still purchase some extra line just to have as a backup.

I don't feel that it will improve inexpensive fly line just maintain it so that it will last a little longer.

Thank you sir! Im trying to keep it nice and clean. I do want to go with a better quality line. Im starting to feel like my setup would benefit from a half weight up line also. Ill start researching on the best bang for the buck.

P.S. I didnt forget about your offer to hit the pack, I spent last weekend doing the orvis flyfishing 101 and 201 courses. I still have the message with your contact info, I will hit you up soon.

PennypackFlyer wrote:
I use a line cleaner as well every so often, just to help preserve the line. Even with that I will still purchase some extra line just to have as a backup.

I don't feel that it will improve inexpensive fly line just maintain it so that it will last a little longer.

I would stick with the weighted line that is in accordance with the rod recommended weight. Going up or down may or may not improve your cast. For me alot has to do with the leader/taper/tippet and weight of the fly/streamer/nymph that I'm using. Orvis makes very high quality line as well as Rio (secondary) - and I usually stick with these two brands. Sometimes I just have to see what else is available when it's on sale.

Remember these comments are personal choice. What works for me may not work for others. This could be partially because I do not buy the premade tapered leaders. I do not care for their action and thus I make my own leaders and tippets out of left over mono and flouro line.

FishInPhilly wrote:
l. The pick ups have alot of water tension, mending significantly affects my drift etc. Is there a DIY way to clean/coat lines?

Some premium lines have embedded floatant that migrates to the line surface to reduce the problems you mention. Various lines are less prone to picking up and hanging on to algae, grime, etc. in the water which would exacerbate those problems.

What I do when the line pickup gets sloppy is to grease the line on the stream. Most any 'silicone' or fly gel floatant will do, even my all purpose Abolene (super cheap silicone substitute, available at drugstores and even good for your skin). Sometimes I regrease several times in a session. With repeated regreasings, the lines often soak up the stuff in the pores and then require less regreasing.

A line floating on, as opposed to in, the water surface, gives much better line control and pickup, and makes for significantly less micro drag. It also will improve hookup rates. (This all pertains to dry fly fishing - full sinking lines are another story)

I use a strong detergent and clean the lines a couple times a year. A friend of mine uses Armor all and swears by it, he cleans his lines more often than I.
I'll says this, after fishing an AMD stream I will make sure I clean the lines.

whats is an AMD stream? Thanks for all the tips, Im putting them all into consideration.I dislike the line i have for many reasons, and im strongly considering a new line in the very near future, but i've been building up my flybox and the little things in the meantime rather than jumping right to line while i refine my techniques. Ill put the beating of learning on this line before i buy the good stuff. Im leaning heavily towards the orvis hydros trout line.

I have the cabelas cheapie line on my cabelas cheapie fly rod. I clean the line once a year by stripping it off into a sink full of warm dish soap water. I run it through a wet rag and let it coil at my feet. I put fresh water in sink, pick up all the line and throw it in and rinse it. Pull it out through a dry towell and wind it back on the reel.

I agree with the tippet, hook, fly size thing that causes most casting problems not the fly fly line. My 2nd fly rod has the premium line on it and I can't tell a difference. That's just me. I am a more carefree fishermen then most.

Thanks for the Albolene tip Lestrout. I got a tube at CVS and plan to try it out soon.

Check out the hook and shackle brand or even cabelas brand of lines.

Both get good reviews and won't require a small loan to buy them.

Hook & Hackle Hi-Floater fly line is indeed a great bargain.

One of my favorite fly lines - at any price. There's no welded loop on it, but it's easy to whip one on, or just nail knot a connector of heavy mono on the end.

They're on sale right now for $25.

http://store.hookhack.com/HH-Weight-Forward-Lines/products/714/

AMD = Acid Mine Drainage as in water from coal mines, very bad for streams kills them.

Back