Chemical Spill into Cedar Run

klingy

klingy

As if this stream hasn't been beaten enough already...

Link.

Is that the Cedar Run in Marinaro's Dry Fly Code? Anything other than fall fish in it now?

They had a spill a few years ago and I remember a local news clip showing the rescue of small brooks and browns from the prison property. I thought it was actually on kind of a come back.

another chemical spill: http://www.centredaily.com/2014/05/20/4186200/dep-herbicide-spill-more-damaging.html

I have been scouting Cedar off and on for a couple years. Trying to find habitat and access points.

Fished it a few times now. Access is very limited.

In my experience, bows in the headwaters/ browns down below. Not worth all the hassle considering other streams in the area. I'm sure big fish are present ( though I never caught one) but surely not in the numbers of other local watersheds.

IMO it's worth a shot if your close. If you gotta travel at all might as well fish some where else, but I've only been there twice fwiw.

As for the Cedar Run in Cumberland County-the lower stretch from the mouth of YB up to the park has been hit hard by the baiters. There used to be a phenomenal population of wild browns here, but that is no more. There are other areas of access that offer excellent fishing if you do some poking around.

I saw the second link too. Potter Run is a neat little stream if you can access it. Both stories suck...

Potters Run is a brook trout stream, I think Class A and Sinking Creek is a wild trout stream. I'm somewhat surprised by the apparent lack of concern for the fish and macros. Is this what DEP has become under our Gub Corbett?

Chaz-

Potters Run is predominantly a brown trout stream-especially from the DNR reservoir down to the mouth. Above the reservoir is a different story. I fish there when I want to get away from the crowds on Spring. As for the lack of further news./concern on this issue, we agree.

Back