Charlie Collins

laurelrun

laurelrun

Just received in the mail today my first cape purchased from Collins Hackle farm. I admit I was a little skeptical of his methods, being fully mail order. But the process could not have been easier. I mailed a check with a note and my order (a grade 3 grizzly cape) last Tuesday. Received the order by priority mail today.

The feathers are nicer than anything I looked at in a shop, and for a grade 3 cape, it has an ample supply that will keep me tying for some time. It was half the price of most of the stuff I saw. The accompanying saddle is a nice bonus and has many nice feathers that are dry worthy along with some way better bugger feathers than i have been tying with.

Charlie wrote a hand written note on my original and included it back. I'm a professional marketer. This guy is doing it right. I can't recommend Collins Hackle Farm highly enough. If you have not tried him, and need some hackle, send the man a check.

Agreed! I got a couple of recommendations for him on the forum, and ended up buying a barred ginger dry fly cape and a Grizzly hen set. Both were beautiful. I love that he includes the saddle patches with the capes! Mine has plenty of nice long feathers that are dry fly quality as well as some that I'll use for wooly buggers.

I'm actually planning to purchase another cape from him soon, I think.

Just curious as to what grading of hackle most tyers use? Is grade 3 sufficient for all tying needs? What makes a hackle dry fly worthy or not?

poopdeck wrote:
Just curious as to what grading of hackle most tyers use?
Don't know but my guess is what ever grade is produced the most.

poopdeck wrote:
Is grade 3 sufficient for all tying needs?
Most likely, yes.

poopdeck wrote:
What makes a hackle dry fly worthy or not?
Stiff barbs.

Stiff barbs, even barbs, and long length eqaute a better grade, but everyone's is diffferent.

Last couple of those fly tying shows I went to I went exclusively to buy his budget feathers. He's a really nice guy, and he's doing it right.

Mr. Collins is one of the main reasons I attend the Somerset shows. I first met him at Somerset and explained I was new to tying. He spent twenty minutes “educating” me while he took care of customers purchasing capes. This did not go unappreciated. He has a lifetime customer with me.

The man ties flies and knows what it takes for a good dry fly hackle. He's quite the chicken farmer.

I've only heard good things about him. If I'm associating him with the right booth at the Somerset Show, I was surprised how plain and simple his booth was. Simple sign, very plain packaging and very non-commercial. It gives the impression he's more concerned about hackle quality than making money.

I haven't been tying long enough to compare his hackle to Whiting hackle but this Cree from his website does look beautiful.

cree.jpg

I shall buy a few capes from him. I like simple. I don't like paying for marketing, fancy packaging, slick paint jobs, brand names and a world headquarters. I really like how he seems to keep costs down and passes some of that savings to The consumer. He makes a little money and I save a little money. That's a business model I can appreciate.

I've used Collins hackle, and have been quite impressed with it also.
It's as good as any other hackle out there IMO.
And I've always bought the #3 grade necks

what size feathers do the grade 3 necks cover?

It covers all sizes but ridiculous.

blueheron wrote:

Can you elaborate on this? Ridiculous in a good or bad way? I have never seen a Collins cape but would like to get one. I currently have Whiting Bronze capes.

blueheron wrote:

I've used his bargin stuff and lowest grade (hell if I remember which one) to tie down to 20 parachutes without an issue.

I think I need to try these then. Thanks!

When I talked to him about how he grades his hackles he said it is mostly about the number of feathers on a cape. Some capes are more densely packed with feathers than others. So if you pay an extra $20 you will get more feathers in the cape. He also mentioned that the nicer grades will tend to have more of the smaller feathers as well.

Back