Caterpillar explosion

barrybarry

barrybarry

Wasn't sure where to post this. Thought this seemed right. "Overtime" is kind of busy these days.

This year I have had seven cherry tree stripped bare. Every Cherry tree that I know of on my property. One I know won't come back because it never leafed out to begin with. (last years problem)

Tent caterpillars everywhere.

Also there were several types of inch worms hanging from every tree. More than I remember. Oaks and Hickories look like they went through a shredder. (Green weenie time.)

Anyway the reason for my post was that 50-75% are gone. I had a flock of Grackles that showed up and stayed for about two weeks. It looked like a black wave.

Pretty cool. A surplus shows up and a surplus predator shows up.

Send those grackles my way.
Caterpillars are eating my rose bushes big time.
I tried some organic spray to keep the little mothers off them.
But it doesn't seem to faze them

In the ANF Gypsy moths are pandemic on all the streams on the east side of the forest. I don't know about the west side.

I usually have a bunch of tent caterpillars in the walnut trees. They love that stuff.

I suspect this will be a fad year for the tent caterpillars.

As far as my sweet cherry trees? They all died, likely from a blight. I gave up on cherry trees. Isn't effecting the wild cherry trees though.

BTW, those grackles will be back about the time those cherries start to ripen.

Interesting on the cherries. I have a weeping cherry that didn't bloom or leaf out this spring. Probably will have to get it removed.

I blamed some weed killer 2 years back, but I'm not sure about that. Common area adjacent to it, that's managed by a landscaping company. 2 years ago they came in with weed killer on the grass, big pressurized backpack things and apparently a lot of overspray! Leaves on that side of the tree died, but the other side was ok. I also lost some plants from the vegetable garden and chose not to eat the rest! I complained to the association. We have a new company now, not sure if that's why, though, or maybe that was added to a bunch of other complaints. I dunno.

Anyway, last spring the tree bloomed and then leafed out fine and looked healthy. I thought it survived.

Then this spring, no bloom, no leaves. Wood still looks good, the weeping things are green if you break em. But no leaves. Just this week a small handful of small green leaves broke out. So I'm gonna give it a few more weeks. But it looks pretty bleak.

No caterpillars after it, though. Maybe a blight. Maybe the weed killer. I dunno.

pcray1231 wrote:
Interesting on the cherries. I have a weeping cherry that didn't bloom or leaf out this spring. Probably will have to get it removed.

I blamed some weed killer 2 years back, but I'm not sure about that. Common area adjacent to it, that's managed by a landscaping company. 2 years ago they came in with weed killer on the grass, big pressurized backpack things and apparently a lot of overspray! Leaves on that side of the tree died, but the other side was ok. I also lost some plants from the vegetable garden and chose not to eat the rest! I complained to the association. We have a new company now, not sure if that's why, though, or maybe that was added to a bunch of other complaints. I dunno.

Anyway, last spring the tree bloomed and then leafed out fine and looked healthy. I thought it survived.

Then this spring, no bloom, no leaves. Wood still looks good, the weeping things are green if you break em. But no leaves. Just this week a small handful of small green leaves broke out. So I'm gonna give it a few more weeks. But it looks pretty bleak.

No caterpillars after it, though. Maybe a blight. Maybe the weed killer. I dunno.

Pat, funny that you would mention weeping cherry. Hey PPF, throw his guy a towel.;-)

Seriously though, I have two of those in the front yard, both are looking sickly this year after being loaded with blooms this spring.

sounds like yours are completely dead.

When you take them out, check and see if the idiot who planted them removed the bag or wire cage from the root ball before he planted them.

I've seen this a few times. They do fine for several years, and then start dying.

I may not be a real farmer, but I do have a green thumb.

In my last place, I did all my own landscaping so all did well. But a neighbor had a fairly large rhodo that was sickly. He wanted it out of there, so I told him I would remove it for him. When I yanked it out, and it did come out easily, I discovered there was still a wire cage around the root ball and it was choking the roots. Several large roots were girdled.

I removed as much of the cage as I could and replanted it on my lot, fertilized it, and it took off.

And at the farm, I have a Japanese maple that was dying. I started to dig it out, and discovered it had a plastic mesh bag around the root ball. I removed as much of it as I could without further damage to the roots, cut off the dead branches, and then pounded in a few fertilizer spikes around it. Very healthy now. that tree would cost hundreds to replace.

In addition to the two weeping cherry, I have several other shrubs looking sickly. All likely planted by the same moron...

Already bought the spikes. I'll try to save the weeping cherry trees, but a few of the others I might just yank out and replace with something else or smaller versions of the same. Some are too freaking big anyway, and one or two I just don't like at all.

I'll likely also try to save a bayberry. I hate that too, but I have one other shrub that I hate even more. It's some kind of hybrid dwarf pine. It's been trying to die for several years now. I mean, it wouldn't be bad, but a pain in the arse trying to dig the leave out if it every year.

Wife likes both shrubs and would like for me to try to save both.

But the stupid evergreen is in back of one of the outbuildings anyway, so you can't even see it from the house. I'll just yank it out of there and throw some rhubarb in the hole. I also hate rhubarb, but wife likes it.

Call it a compromise.

I was out on my woodland this weekend. Didn't see a single caterpillar. What areas of the state are being hit? Central PA?

On the weeping cherries, mine started to bloom early and then lost all the bloom with the late cold snap.

I'm not seeing caterpillars in SE PA either.

When you take them out, check and see if the idiot who planted them removed the bag or wire cage from the root ball before he planted them.

I've seen this a few times. They do fine for several years, and then start dying.

Uh, it was planted in 1984. So, if "several" years means 30+, well, I guess I'll check that. :)

It's a big tree. Bout 3 stories tall.

We were talking about different types of trees (my mistake). Besides, it was only a suggestion. We had one of those weeping cherry (like you) in a side yard when I was a kid. I remember cutting it down. It didn't fall the direction my older brother intended and actually scraped the neighbors house and almost took out a window.

It likely died because of where it was planted, and it was probably about 50 foot tall. If you are curious like me, and I know you are... If you have the stump ground out, stick around and see what comes up.

But since you asked...

That Japanese maple I mentioned was likely over 20 year old. And that rhodo? Probably close to that. The roots had poked through and were being strangled as they grow. That takes awhile.

I was thinking the grafted type of weeping cherry that grow like an umbrella and maybe get to 7 feet tall. That is what I have. And these were probably planted 25 years ago. They are showing signs of being root bound as are some other shrubs planted about the same time.

Maybe I should yank all of them out and start over. I already yanked a couple of shrubs out to make room for the others because they were too crowded.

Future project. Take out all the landscaping at the front of the house and add a porch.;-)

Southern Lancaster County PA cherries are being hit hard for some reason. Friends there have some apple trees that are being hit too. A week or so ago I was fishingin northern part of state and they were all over the water but I've never seen a trout eat one. Interesting that birds will eat them but not trout.

pcray1231 wrote:

I have one sweet cherry tree that has seen better days. They are always a magnet for Japanese beetles. Year two after I planted it, I decided to spray it with Sevin to kill the beetle crop. Mixed a batch up and hit it with the first shot of spray. A few days later, the leaves began to wither. And I realized my sprayer still had a wand's worth of brush killer in it. Lost all it's leaves early that year. In the fall that year, I came home on a Sunday. We have an L shaped lot, with a smaller lot beside us. The neighbor boy had a deer target setup in our yard, which I wasn't thrilled with. Went inside and discovered they were using it to sight rifles. No backstop to speak off and so I walked out and asked them to stop. They complied and the next day. I discovered my poor cherry tree was right in the flight path of their bullets, and a good patch of bark had been stripped off. Surprisingly enough, the tree grew a few leaves the next year, but it is a sickly looking tree to this day, and it does not look like any of the fruit set.

A somewhat mild winter probably helped the creepy crawlies survive better. I did notice a lot of tent 'pillars opening day and they were crawling all over the rocks in the lower Susquehanna gorge a few weekends ago on a hiking trip.

Back