Carpin today

D-D, nice fish. Great story. Glad you did not loose your rod. But nice job.

GC

Don't think he only dives in while carpin'. I've seen him back flip off of a boulder on a brookie stream in the winter! The boy just ain't right!

Lol....I'm all about combat fly fishing.

Great story & congrats on a serious feat !

I have 150 yards of backing on a cartridge spool on a 5 wt rig. It will be fun!

Perhaps you are already aware of this early spring carp behavior pattern, but if not, I'll explain. My office is on a shallow cove off of the main lake at Nockamixon. Likewise, I fish a shallow cove off of the main lake at Blue Marsh in the last half of March and the first week of April. In one case winds blow into the cove and on bright days, push a little warm surface water into the cove. In both cases, when the air temp is not particularly warm, the coves warm up in 2-3 ft of water a little more rapidly than the rest of the lake due to the clear water, mud bottom, and solar heating. Carp, as well as baitfish and the occasional striper hybrid, are attracted to these conditions, which don't last very long. As soon as the rest of the two lakes begin to warm or as soon as we have an exceptionally cold night, the fish are gone. The carp may return, however, once the coves warm again, which might be late the very same day. The carp are quite vulnerable to the fly angler at that time and there are schools of carp rather than an occasional fish to which you will be able to cast. You might want to check for this carp behavior pattern at your local lake. You can find the proper coves by checking for the shallow coves into which the winds blow when blowing from the north, northwest, or west. Likewise, you may also want to identify coves with extensive shallows toward the back ends of those coves. That's where you will find the fish.

Mike is right on about the coves, Some lakes around here can really turn on during the spring. If you hit it right their will be many targets to chose from

Why couldn't I have been there for that one!!! Congrats on getting both your carp and your rod back.

Call me the next delta dog, but both my last two outings on spring I caught carp.

They are fun aren't they. Trout stream Carp are the easiest to catch. They are extremely comfortable with people wading really close and will almost always take.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Don't think he only dives in while carpin'. I've seen him back flip off of a boulder on a brookie stream in the winter! The boy just ain't right!

Speaking of not right, I seem to remember some gentlemen jumping 5 feet down a bank to net a first fish for a newbie on a cold winter day.

(Wait, did I just call Fox a gentleman? )

DD - Great story and I'm glad you and the H2 are both okay!

Back