Carpin’ 2019

You sneak up, keeping a very low profile to one of your favorite carp spots that you haven’t had a chance to fish the whole season. That sixth sense is telling you that there is a carp working somewhere in front of you. As you peek over the high grass you diligently try to pick apart the murky water looking for the smallest telltale sign ... any slight movement of water, the tip of a fin or tail, just a carp bubble or two or the faintest tint of a silt cloud or shadow. All of a sudden the water literally explodes right in front of you with a huge swirl, enormous cloud of mud and that wake screaming straight away from you! You’ve just been busted. Many times the carp fishing videos make it look pretty easy - but sometimes it just isn’t. That’s carpin’ !!

I've never even heard of a mulberry fly, I am definitely checking that pattern out to tie. Great looking fish!!

dc410 wrote:
Here is one from earlier in the season taken on top on a deer hair mulberry fly.

Mainly trying to see if I can figure out how to attach a photo again.

troutpout wrote:
I've never even heard of a mulberry fly, I am definitely checking that pattern out to tie. Great looking fish!!

dc410 wrote:
Here is one from earlier in the season taken on top on a deer hair mulberry fly.

Mainly trying to see if I can figure out how to attach a photo again.

Mulberry Hatch Match

Reading Dave Whitlocks book again and seeing his " feeds at 39 degree " statement, i wish these fish would read his book too.
i think its time to clean the equipment and tie some carp flys for 2020.

Carpo wrote:
Reading Dave Whitlocks book again and seeing his " feeds at 39 degree " statement, i wish these fish would read his book too.
i think its time to clean the equipment and tie some carp flys for 2020.

The places where I carp fish I couldn’t get remotely close to the fish with the fly rod if the water temperature is 39 degrees.

Start up a new Carpin’ 2020 thread once things start happening next year. We can share stories, experiences, successes and failures. The more folks that participate the more fun and informative the thread will be. Tight lines and screamin’ reels in 2020!

I know that this is a different topic, but last year in the Juniata I didn't see many carp at all. I wonder if it is bowfishermen setting them back that hard or something else? Or maybe I just didn't see them. Usually, however, I see a lot of carp.

^^^ I've given up trying to carp fish in central PA.

jifigz wrote:
I know that this is a different topic, but last year in the Juniata I didn't see many carp at all. I wonder if it is bowfishermen setting them back that hard or something else? Or maybe I just didn't see them. Usually, however, I see a lot of carp.

I honestly haven’t had as much time lately to put into my carpin’ outings but the last two seasons I have seen a significant decrease as well in the number of carp that I can actually target. I know that some of the areas that I did real well years ago have been heavily bowfished and that makes the population of carp that is left much less as well as ultra spooky when you try to present a fly to them after they have had arrows flailed at them. So yeah, I think you have a valid point on this issue. I’m not going to give up on them, however, need to find some new areas. Gotta do a bit more walking (sneaking), not a bad thing.

This season I'm going after one of them golden bones. Going to have to scout some mulberry trees

Here’s of video I made of carp fishing during last years 17 year cicada hatch. Sorry in advance about the incorrect brood number. Hope you enjoy it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeYRgu67yVM

Great video. Looks like a ton of fun! Great music too!

That’s a really great video. I was never fortunate enough to hit them on the cicadas yet but that would be a total blast. You definitely went about it the best way. Nicely done!

Back