Careers?

Retired school teacher and assistant principal.No, I don't miss it.lol

Another retired Verizon Cable Splicer. Now full time Trout Bum & volunteer.

Assistant food service director for a contract food service company. I am presently working in a nursing home, I have worked in colleges, schools, and corporate offices with my company feeding people for 10 years.

Machinist / Cad design by trade. Lately, due to the ecomony, I am now doing sales for the company...

I must be the only poor slob who has to get his hands dirty..
I've owned and operated my own Logging crew for 30 years....

1st career -- industrial inside sales for a stainless steel manufacturer in Washington PA.

2nd career -- advertising copywriter in retail working on many accounts such as Tasters Choice Coffee, Stouffers Entrees, Hoover Vacuum cleaners, Chloraseptic Throat Spray. SONY recruitment advertising (when they were still in SW PA). Fun job, then I got too old.

3rd career -- Communications Director for a business-to-business marketing firm in the SowSide of Picksburgh... the good thing is I still do what I enjoy... promotional writing.

I work in the ever exciting financial planning industry. I do retirement planning and insurance mainly. It's been crazy lately but I love what I do. Plan on being there a long time. I basically run my own business underneath my employer. Tough job sometimes, but very rewarding. I have a flexable schedule... I work whatever 60 hours a week I want lol.

I hope to be able to retire in my 50's and travel the world and fish. I'm a part time paflyfish addict and fish sometime inbetween.

Wife says I'm a worthless no good bum who needs to spend a little more time lookin for a job and a lot less sloshing around the krick livin off unemployment.... shug.......... I keep tellin her she don't know what she's talkin about.

Really an interesting topic, IMO. I was a teacher for 35 years; I retired nearly 4 years ago. I liked teaching, and I often miss it. I was really lucky: I worked in a good school district that had a wonderful faculty and generally had good administrators, had good kids, had school board members who cared about the right things, and had parents who were usually supportive. I feel fortunate to have had such a rewarding career.

Geology grad school dropout (entered work force) to become:
Technical Support Technician for a school district; morphed into system/network administrator position (left to work for another public ed entity)
Became systems administrator, then senior systems administrator (left to work in private industry; got tired of the quasi-government bureaucracy of K-12 education))
Stone veneer manufacturer and installation company: Hired to do IT work; ended up doing stints in production scheduling, logistics, and finally back to IT;
Now managing HR/Payroll, Legal, Safety, and IT.

I went to school for desktop publishing....

Ended up in construction for years and now I build military electronics and weapons.

Spent my early years doing all kinds of things,painter,roofer,truck driver,some time in the US Army,lab assistant at what was then known as Western Electric,a couple sales jobs.Then I tried my hand at being a Real Estate agent and did fairly well at that,even got a brokers license and opened my own office.While being a Realtor I got involved with a few builders and that really got my attention,I was very interested in the process of building homes so that's what I turned to.Spent around 25 yrs building homes and developing a few tracts of land and now I'm in my GOLDEN years,retired a couple yrs ago when the economy went sour.Those were good years,but I would n't want to try starting up right now as this is the worst anyone can remember for construction.
Now I trade stocks and options and cut the grass and shovel the snow.....O yea I fish for Salmon,Steelhead,and the wily trout.

Pre-hospital RN band-aid pusher on a helicopter. Jack of all, master of none. Favorite customer response "I only had 2 beers!"

Started right out of college in radio broadcasting (BS in mass media communications). When the bottom fell out and I was unemployed, I spent a lot of time at a local pub :pint: Was there so often the owner asked me if I wanted a job since I was there more than some of his employees. He was only half-joking because a week later I was a line cook. Almost 20 years later, I'm now a sous chef (and kitchen manager, and inventory control manager, and, on occasions when an employee doesn't show up for work, an "aquatic engineer" (or dishwasher if you want to be a d*ck about it) ;-)

peace-tony c.

Concreter...huh, that just looks worse when you actually spell it out...hahaha. Oh well that's what I'm doing now. I'd like to go to school an be something my son could be proud of but we'll see. It's not all that bad...just "working with" (read as "slaving for") family gets old after a while! Hahaha

i'm a musician.sometimes i go a few years without a day job,but then
music becomes too much like work.haha

my most recent job was years at a motorcycle shop,i was the setup guy for a dealership.

right now i'm in hairdressing school full time.who wants a haircut at the jam,?haha

Local dump truck driver for paving company. Thinking about going over the road in an 18-wheeler after I get enough experience, but kinda like being home everyday and able to fish any night of the week. 3 day weekends every week are nice. Being laid off from Nov-May is also nice. I got paid all winter to hunt and fish!

I'm like that joke about the Clinton administration and how they created 16 million jobs--almost one per middle class family to work after they're done with their day job.

I used to teach secondary social studies and reading full-time out west. Even did the one-room school house thing in Alaska for a while. In summers I have a great seasonal job in logistics and security in Aspen (going just in time for the western green drakes this year!).

Moved to PA two school years ago and now I sub, teach night class at a local community college, run a small program for "at risk" teens at a suburban Phila. school district, and am tangentially employed for a large sporting retailer at which I have run into a few of our number from PAFF. Still looking for a full-time teaching position in any of the five subjects I'm certified to teach. Have chalk, will travel.

corectional officer here. sometimes when im tower duty, i sometimes, by accident, grab my fly tying bag instead of my lunch box. ;-)

I was an analytical chemist for a pharmaceutical company for 29 years. Supervised the chem lab for over half of that time. Walked into work one day in December 2002 and was told they were going to close the plant and I was in the first wave to be let go. Fortunately my wife had a good job, then she eventually bought the business and we haven't looked back. I became the househusband which leaves lots of time for fishing.

Back