Camping on the Delaware?

D

dryflyguy

I put a post on this site last year on this subject, and got some good responses.
For last year's trip up there,I found a place just up from kellums bridge called soaring eagle campground, and it was pretty nice .
However, I would like to stay closer to Hancock, NY, which is pretty much the center of my favorite Delaware River holes up there.
Somebody - I think Tim Murphy? - posted a place called Pleasant Valley Campground - by Starlight, PA, - if I remember correctly.
I'm going up there again at the end of the month, and would like to try staying there. But I can't seem to find any info about it anywhere.
I've tried googling it, and come up with some upper delaware recreation sites, but can't find hide or hair about that campground.
Anybody know anything about it?

Hankins on the delaware?? if it's still there..Hankins new york....

Dear dryflyguy,

I'm pretty sure I was the one who posted about Pleasant Valley Campground in Starlight, PA. Unfortunately, I have since thrown out the Campground guidebook that I copied the information from. Like you I can find no record of the place, maybe it was wiped out by last year's flood?

Here is contact info for the Red Barn Campground in Hankins, NY but I'm not sure they are open since the flood because it was heavily damaged by the flood. You can at least give them a call to find out.

Red Barn Campgrounds
8 Creamery Rd
Hankins, NY 12741

(845) 887-5570

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Thanks Tim

I mostly fish the west branch when I'm up there, and it would be nice to stay somewhere closer to it.
There is a state forest preserve on the NY side of the river below Lordville - right where the road dead ends at a s pot called Beaxchoville. There is a sign in the parking lot there saying that primitive camping is allowed. I'll look into perhaps getting a permit for that

Dear dryflyguy,

There is a NY State Park campground at Oquaga Lake that is about 15 to 20 minutes from Deposit, NY if you are interested.

http://nysparks.state.ny.us/parks/info.asp?parkId=2

There is a map on that link showing the location. I posted the map link but the link was huge and spread across the page so I deleted it. If you cross the West Branch on Rte 8 at Stilesville and take your first paved left turn it will run you right to the park.

That creek along Rte 8 is worth fishing if you can find access and there are a bunch of little brookie streams worth fishing just a short ways up Rte 8 in Steam Mill State Forest. The skeeters are brutal though!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Back