McCarthy Capital Corporation

Fisher Investments, Inc.

FMR LLC

Disciplined Growth Investors, Inc.

BlackRock Fund Advisors

State Street Corporation

BlackRock Institutional Trust Company

osprey wrote:
I think we show a sad diservice to all the mom n pop shops , that tirelessly over the years created and fine tuned this sport we love into what it is today , these people had passion for the sport. Cabelas is just another faceless , formless corporation . their passion is cash profits and the bottom line.

Every mom n pop shop has started because they wanted to make cash & profits.

troutbert wrote:
Some of the owners of Cabelas:

London Companyof Virginia, (The)

Dimensional Fund Advisors LP

Vanguard Group, Inc. (The)

Fisher Investments, Inc.

FMR LLC

BlackRock Fund Advisors

State Street Corporation

Think about those companies and you will realize who the real owners are.

It may just be a rumor, much like the long rumored Bass Pro Shop at the Meadows Racetrack in Washington,Pa. Until earth is moved and a building goes up with their (Cabelas) name on it, don't believe anything.

JasonS wrote:
troutbert wrote:
Some of the owners of Cabelas:

London Companyof Virginia, (The)

Dimensional Fund Advisors LP

Vanguard Group, Inc. (The)

Fisher Investments, Inc.

FMR LLC

BlackRock Fund Advisors

State Street Corporation

Think about those companies and you will realize who the real owners are.

who? you & me? what your 401k plan?

Exactly. The better Cabela's does, the sooner I can retire and fish more!! Capitalism is a beautiful thing!

That's funny there 's a rumor that a cabelas is coming to Statecollege behind cracker barrel. Wonder which one is correct? :)

The original Cabelas store was and still is in Sidney, Nebraska! I don't know when they got their start but I have personally been doing business with them through mail order since the mid 70's. I visited the store in Sidney back in 1999. They, Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain I believe pioneered the mail order outdoor sports industry. Cabelas bought out Gander Mountains mail order business back in the 80's if I'm not mistaken and that's why you don't get a Gander Mountain catalog in the mail anymore.

At 53 I have seen the "big box" stores move in to many medium to small towns and heard the cry that they would drive the small "Mom and Pop" stores out of business and have not seen the evidence. As was said earlier the ones that did succumb were not competing well with the other local stores and were doomed anyway.

I own several Cabelas fly rods and they serve me well 3 were bought on sale and cost me 50 dollars or less and I would not own them except for the clearance price. I don't know what it's like to own a fishing rod let a lone a fly rod that cost over 200 dollars.

Back when I was single, had lots of disposable income and was tournament bass fishing I did the bulk of my equipment shopping at a small tackle store in the village of Woodcock ( it don't get any smaller look it up ) called Elly's Bait and Tackle. But she didn't carry everything I needed sure she would special order anything I wanted but there was always something she could not get! So once a year I would place an order with Cabelas and Bass Pro (even they could not carry everything I needed or wanted). Her shop went out of business when she retired and her son TRIED to run the business. Nuf said!

I started this thread and my intentions were just to inform everyone of the "impending invasion" not start a debate over not so evil corporations ( witch by the way almost all started as a mom and pop at one point ) and the small local business.

Oh by the way another fine local fishing establishment that you should consider doing business with is Fish USA mostly an online entity but they do have a brick and mortar store in Erie. I stop in there often when I am in the area. They are a fine example of American free enterprise and ingenuity and in my opinion compete in some areas with Bass Pro and Cabelas!

And he steps down off the soap box! =:~)

Oh by the way another fine local fishing establishment that you should consider doing business with is Fish USA mostly an online entity but they do have a brick and mortar store in Erie. I stop in there often when I am in the area. They are a fine example of American free enterprise and ingenuity and in my opinion compete in some areas with Bass Pro and Cabelas!

that's interesting. i've bought bulk amounts of hooks for fly tying off them for years. now i feel less guilty for doing so...

It must be nice to live in an area with a decent economy. Around here its big news when the Dollar General moves across town. Thank goodness for online shopping.

jreichel wrote:

And he steps down off the soap box! =:~)
My first experience with these folks was interesting. I ordered size 10 hip waders via 3 day delivery and recieved size 11s in a box marked size 10s. Called them, and they sent me my 10s 3 day delivery with return postage for the wrong boots. They then credited my account for the original postage for the inconvenience. Good costomer service!

hendeylathe wrote:
It may just be a rumor, much like the long rumored Bass Pro Shop at the Meadows Racetrack in Washington,Pa. Until earth is moved and a building goes up with their (Cabelas) name on it, don't believe anything.

The Bass Pro is true. I have had the blue prints in my hands. There is some issues going on, just give it some more time.

The Bass Pro shop in Harrisburg is pretty nice. They have a whole section of the store called White River Fly Shop , like a store within a store.

Full disclosure: I worked for Cabelas for about 4 years, and while there were many things that I didn't care for about working for a "Big Box", there were a lot of good things too. I was always impressed with how it got started.

Cabelas got its start when Dick Cabela. who was in the furniture business, went to a trade show and bought a bunch of flies. He took out an ad in an outdoor magazine for " 12 hand- tied flies -FREE, just pay postage and handling". Started filling orders from his kitchen table with his wife and eventually his brother, Jim. A true kitchen table enterprise. The company was still owned and run by Dick and Jim until about 6 years ago, when they took the company public as a way to fund expansion etc. Jim is still the largest individual shareholder. I am not a huge fan of big box stores, but some of the best flyfishermen I know work at the Hamburg Cabelas, and a lot (not all) of the people that work there are passionate about the outdoors. While you will probably never find the local, specialized equipment found in some in areas or small stores, they do offer lots of jobs with benefits, and generally spur more local development. I still buy from them but also try to support local shops with good service.

I have never found any store, small mom & pop or big box, that carries everything. I have found good sales people in the mom & pop shops, I have also dealt with idiots. I have dealt with good people in big box store, I have also dealt with idiots. So I shop around, I dont limit myself to buying from one place. Whoever has the product at the best price gets my money.

Good luck, Tony

^+1
local news ran a story that there's a conflict w/proposed site landowner so Cabelas bailed. Millcreek township is shopping other properties to Cabelas and the whole project is TBD.

in other news, the GE downsizing will affect not only several hundred workers, but also DOZENS of other shops around erie who manufacture HUNDREDS of parts and assorted gimbles that go into the GE stuff... Alot of those shop guys and their kids on the water year-round up here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/blog/the-next-move/2013/05/hooking-the-big-one.html

Back