Buying Flies

Want some truly great flies?

Go see joe fox !

Detteflies.com

Also,even with a busy schedule,try to work some tying time in!

Flies, like just about anything else, you get what you pay for. For example, at the Feathered Hook on Penns Creek the flies are all tied by their tiers. Not cheap. They do NOT import flies. Companies like The Fly Schack do get their flies from overseas. I have bought from both sources. You CAN tell the difference. But can the fish? I think the ones tied locally will be more durable but I have NOT done experiments to confirm or reject that hypothesis .

I am NOT a fan of FFP at all.

I was going to recommend Jonas at Feathered Hook also. They are NOT CHEAP, i would go as far as to call them expensive but they are quality ties. I think last time i talked to him about it which was probably 2014 he had 30 local tyers working for him

I hear you though, i have been fly fishing for 10 years and never tied a single fly. If i did i would have no time to fish. As it is i have very little time to fish

I usually buy nymphs and some streamers from online discount fly vendors. For dries, I'll either tie those myself, or buy higher quality flies from local shops. I go through many more nymphs in a year than dries.

Dries normally require higher quality materials to float well and most of the time I also tie them on a fine wire hook.

I'd strongly recommend tying your own.

I'll agree that Flyfisher's had many locally tied flies compared to anywhere else I've ever bought flies. Come to think of it, they are without a doubt my favorite fly shop. Great guys and super friendly and helpful without the sense of elitism that can often be found at certain places.

If you want some cheaper mass produced flies Risen Fly has enough of the basic and classic patterns to get you by. Plus by buying from Risen you can help support a forum member and his business.

I tie all the flies here at my shop all to match the hatches of Pa, Ny, and Nj. I average $2.00 per fly in store

I tie most of my own flies, but when I make it to the Spring Jam, I always stop at Feathered Hook and spend a few bucks on flies and whatever.

They aren't cheap, but much better than I can make. Plus, compared to what I spend on everything else on that trip, they are cheap. They have always been good to me, and I appreciate that.

At least buy your dry flies from a quality place. Huge difference

FFP or the Feathered Hook from my experience seem to be two good places to get them.

I have had absolutely terrible experiences in one fly shop other people are complimenting. I will never go back to the shop closest to the jam, which I shall not name.
Also ,I have heard bad experiences at the TCO shop in state college,but I have had wonderful experiences there.

To each his own,I guess.

I would recommend Spruce Creek Outfitters flies. Local ties.

It’s on the J- it’s hard to believe it gets more and more crowded every year being a second rate river behind Penns.

lol

Let's bump this one back up, courtesy of a redirect by "afishianado" on another "Where to buy flies" thread.

CRB wrote:

Mike the owner of Oil Creek Outfitters in Titusville Ties most of his patterns. He spends the winter down in Florida Tying and fishing salt. I think he travels back north toward the end of March.

Mike is retiring, and going to spend *all* of his time in Florida now, from what I understand.

The PA flyfishing community will be losing a good man.

Maxima, that is one heck of an offer. I think I will take you up on that.

Here's the deal

1. I send you the $24.
2. You send the flies to a beginner or beginners of your choice. Or send them to a group that teaches fly fishing to young people.
3. One of the choices has to be elk hair caddis. ;-)

Do you accept Paypal?

Bet you didn't see that coming.

Farmerdave, I accept, but never take money first. First you get flies, then you send money. Have always trusted people, yes been taken advantage of before. But that is the price in Trust! Send the info!

I do accept paypal, checks, money orders!

Two class acts above!

Way to do it guys!

maxima12 wrote:
Farmerdave, I accept, but never take money first. First you get flies, then you send money. Have always trusted people, yes been taken advantage of before. But that is the price in Trust! Send the info!

I do accept paypal, checks, money orders!

Nope. I'll send you the money first.

We never met, but I feel that I can trust you.

Also, since I won't be receiving the flies personally, and whoever gets them will get them for free. There will be satisfaction all around.

I'm sure you are a lot better tier than me, so allow me to take advantage of your generous offer.

Besides, I'm almost as old as you, and afraid that I might forget. You know what they say, memory is the second thing to go.

Don't argue with me. I'm likely a lot bigger than you and I now know roughly where you live. ;-)

I'll get the check out to you tomorrow ... if I don't forget.;-)

ColdBore wrote:
Two class acts above!

Way to do it guys!

Sounds about right. Any perceived class is purely an act.;-)

Thanks.

Back