Brownlining

Paddlefish are the reason for the infamous snagging season.

So I didn't know this had a name.. That is gross that he put the line in his mouth though..

Catching carp is awesome, I love it.

pcray1231 wrote:
Farmer,

Believe I know where you are talking about. In the lake itself at the one area, man, I think you could do pretty well with just about anything. :)

Kinzua is a neat fishery. The lake near the dam is pretty dang impressive with carp. There's that parking lot on the S or E side near the dam, just look down over in that corner, and they're everwhere. Can't fish close to the dam, but we used to go up a ways and get down over the bank (not recommended, not easy!), then walk the bank towards the dam. Yes, we went beyond where you're supposed to. It gets better the closer to the dam you go. We always used spinning rods and there'd be next to zero backcast room. But you could catch the heck out of some carp. Its been years but the last time I went with my brother, 2 rods a piece, and we had multiple quadruple headers going on.

That same day, we saw an enormous paddlefish in the spillway, right up against the dam in the corner where the water is slow. One of those would be neat to tangle with, but I think they're filter feeders.

pcray, about 30 years ago, I used to take my little brother up there, and we would actually fished off of the spillway, right up by the power plant. the outlet from the generation station was straight down. While they were generating and water was coming out, we would cast out for walley and what ever. Used to catch a lot of walley off of there, but most were 14.5 inches. Had a huge musky try to eat a walley off of my hook once. but there was no way i could have landed it, so I pulled it away from him as fast as i could. Also saw a very long and skinny gar down there. Also caught a lot of crappie along the face of that outlet, and along the building. A whole lot of snags out in that river there if you cast out. must be some big cables out in there.

But those carp. LOL! When they would stop generating, there were carp all over that outlet. Water was clear and shallow and a big flat concrete slab. It was a blast with bait. Also snagged a bunch. nobody cared, they were just carp.

My brother did hook a nice musky where you are talking about down off of those rocks just down stream from that outlet., But as he was landing it, it got off. I yelled "GRAB IT!" and he said "NO WAY!" and just watched it flop back in the water. So many fish along there, but I understand you can't fish off of that wall anymore. Not sure you were allowed back then, either, but we did.

The spot i was talking about where I've caught carp on a fly rod is about straight across from there near the downstream end of the hatchery. I think it is a federal hatchery.

Was fishing with my brother over there once and he was way up by the dam. He was using spinning gear and bait, and I was using a fly rod. Wasn't catching anything so I tied on a sucker spawn and targeted carp. after breaking off a couple I managed to land a smallish one. Probably about 18 inches and a little thinner than the usual carp. I held it up for my brother to see, and he yelled "what is it!" (he was far away)

I yelled back "brown trout," as i released it.

And you aint lying about those carp near the dam (in the lake). And they are huge. But i don't think you can fish there.

jayL wrote:
Paddlefish are the reason for the infamous snagging season.

they raise those at the Linesville hatchery and have been reintroducing them. They grow amazingly fast. and yes, they are filter feeders. I stopped there on friday to try and get an update on what caused the fish kill on Pymatuning. While there I hinted to a young guy (who was measuring paddle fish) that it would be cool to have a couple of those paddle fish in my pond, but he blew it off by saying they are hard to raise.

Didn't get an answer on the fish kill.

bassistjon112 wrote:
So I didn't know this had a name.. That is gross that he put the line in his mouth though..

Catching carp is awesome, I love it.

i suppose it could have been new line since he wasn't doing it on the stream.

Oh crap, that's three in a row again. Sorry TomG. :-D

I just had a client come in and he said he fished there last week and didn't see a single fish dead in the water or on the shore. Whatever killed those fish isn't effecting them anymore.'

You can't fish in the spillway all the way down to the cable. I've seen people fish with bread right outside of the cable and it's like the fish know... they don't take the bread on the outside but the loaves inside are free game. Saw one guy tossing live carp into a cooler while his wife/girlfriend sat on it. Was funny to see her try to act calm while the large fish were flopping in the cooler she was sitting on.

Back