Brookie Streams in State College area

salmo

salmo

I will be fishing near State College end of April - early May. I want to spend at least one day on some smaller streams in the hopes of taking some natives. Any suggestions for some streams in areas not posted would be very helpful. PMs invited.

You've got to drive a way to get to good brookie water from State College.

Some of the headwaters of Spring Creek are classified as class A trout water. If you take Bear Meadows Road past Tussey Mountain ski resort you will come to a parking lot on the left, at the start of Rothrock State Forest. Here there is Galbraith Gap Run, which flows at the back end of the parking lot. While I have never fished this stream, I have hiked in the area and have seen a few people walking up the stream with fly rods, so you'd think there are brookies. It's definitely something I'd love to fish soon. The stream is beautiful.

Don't overlook the large tracts of state forest to the south of town. Much of this is in Mifflin County. This is a good area to begin your search for brookie fishing.

Big Fishing Creek has wild brookies. It's about 45 minutes outside of state college as I recall. Some smaller tribes around there too.

Rest assured- there are PLENTY of brook trout streams within the State College area, and you do not have to drive far. Don't just focus on the PFBC Class A listings for Centre County. There are plenty of Class B and C streams here that fish quite well. There are also streams that are off the grid that can be discovered with a little effort. FYI...Galbraith Gap Run is a pretty stream, but it gets very low and the public area has a low density of fish. Much of the best water is private property. Honestly, it isn't worth your time unless you set your expectations very low.

Back