Brook Trout rod...

My go-to rod in that situation is the TFO 6'9" 1wt, custom built.

That being said, I've fished my 7'9" 3wt as well as a 7'10" 000wt on similar streams, and I'd say that length is about as long as I'd go, as they've both been long enough to be cumbersome in certain tight-quarters situations I've run into.

While action is deeply subjective, for my fishing, glass would be my last choice on these kinds of streams (indeed, I have a 7' 4wt glass rod that some here would likely find ideal for this kind of fishing, but I won't use in the same situation). For me, there's too many times where I simply don't have the room for a full casting motion and room for the back cast. A faster action rod helps me flip a little line out, just using the energy that can be built up in the last 1/3 or so of the rod, as well as shoot a little line, or various other tricks to extend my reach in cramped quarters.

I fish a lot of streams in NE PA with a graphite 7'6" rod. Rarely get hung up where I can't get it off the hang up. The streams there are big enough and there are a surprising number of large brookies.

Back