Brickerville, Litiz area - advice for this weekend?

trowpa

trowpa

Ok - looks like my wife is dragging me to participate in her favorite hobby of "letterboxing" this weekend in the Brickerville and Litiz areas this weekend. Not thrilled with that, but i WAS given permission to do some fishing while there...

For those in the area or who fish it any suggestions as to streams or locations?

i live in that area...if you want send me a pm

I heard about letterboxing before.

Your post just gave me an epiphany. Maybe my wife can take that up and we can travel to get to her letterboxes and I can fish different streams. Maybe we PAFLYFISHERMEN can set up a letterbox trail to all the best streams in the state, and watch in hilarity as our wives try to find these hard to find items while we fish all over the state on some good streams.... what do you think?????

I'm in, who else?

Sal... Send him to Lititz Run to be humbled! :-D

ryguyfi wrote:
I heard about letterboxing before.

Your post just gave me an epiphany. Maybe my wife can take that up and we can travel to get to her letterboxes and I can fish different streams. Maybe we PAFLYFISHERMEN can set up a letterbox trail to all the best streams in the state, and watch in hilarity as our wives try to find these hard to find items while we fish all over the state on some good streams.... what do you think?????

I'm in, who else?

I'M IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just to followup - Sal was a great help getting me familiar with the area. I spent more time letter boxing and generally trying to find my way around than fishing- tends to happen with 2 young kids, a wife, and my father all along, but i did squeeze in some fishing time and managed 3 brookies. And that made the whole day worthwhile.

Here is the first of the three (didn't take pictures of the other two as i just wanted to release them in the water quickly - was so tickled to catch them.

glad you had a good time :-D im sure with some more exploring time you could have gotten into a few more brookies than you did. Still 3 isnt bad and that is a pic of a nice winter time brookie. Glad i could help!

Sal - is that coloration (the more silvery color) due to the season? or is it a habitat/diet thing? All 3 fish were this silvery /purple rather than the more typical darker colors. Until i landed the first fish - seeing it in the water i thought i might have had a rainbow on...totally unexpected, but my experience with Brookies is almost zilch.

And yes, i can't wait to get back and do some more exploration - its a great area!

I grew up 500 yards from Lititz Run and about 20 minutes south of Brickerville. When I was younger I used to walk to Lititz Run and fish, but once I started driving I spent a lot of time fishing around Brickerville. The area gets lot of stocked fish, and consequently a good bit of bait/spin-fishing pressure; however, several of the streams also have decent wild trout populations and some pretty good hatches. You won't find these streams listed in PA fly fishing books, but they can offer some nice fly fishing.

I think its both. Alot of the fish in that stream have a silvery hue to them. They will darken up some as summer/fall approaches but remain fairly silvery. I think it has to do with diet more that anything.

That's a really nice size brookie. Congrats.

I grew up around that area in ephrata but usually ended up fishing for bass/panfish in the cocalico and when my brother was finally able to drive, the tully. I always heard there was a nice brookie pop in a little stream **hcolges**. Anyone have any experience on there?

lancaster has more wild trout streams than anyone realizes. i think my last total was up to 21. but most arent listed on the natural reproduction list. The stream he fished has some amazing hatches and no doubt leads to nice sized brookies.

The hatches include....

BWO, yellow sallys, various caddis and midges, sulphur and some extremely large march browns and light cahills.

Back