Breckenridge

If fishing isn't the first priority for going out there, bring a rod and reel buy some suggested flies at a shop out there and just do what you can in town. I know there are fish in the creek through town there watched a guy from a bridge there for hours miss fish after fish and of course I didn't have my gear with me before the wedding I was going too so it just made me angery I could flip a fly at them

You may also want to check historically on the water levels that time of year. In heavy snow years run off can make a lot of the streams in that area unfishable.

But the tribs might still be in good shape.

I was in Colorado in the fall. Crazy amount of trout water. And fishing in the middle of town is probably as good as anywhere else. Posted water (most often fenced off) is a major issue in Colorado. That can add a lot of time when searching out new water to fish without advance information from knowledgeable locals (who were uniformly friendly and helpful, in my experience.)

Every river and stream seems to have a stretch of public water, though. And it isn't the dregs, either. Quality habitat.

Beware the wind. And although there's a wide range of water, much of it is bigger and deeper than what's in PA. If you're fishing rivers rather than feeders, you probably want to bring heavier gear. (Note on one destination in the vicinity: before Coldwater Creek resembles a creek rather than a river, you will have to follow it many many miles upstream.)

Sounds like most are suggesting I ditch the guide and do it alone. Since I only have a half day, the guide - who supplies waders, tackle, etc. seemed the most time efficient way to go.....

If the cost of the guide isn't an issue, I'd lean toward using one with limited time so as to maximize your chance of having a good trip. Get a hold of them way ahead of time, explain your time restraints and do as much advanced planning as you can. Maybe he/she would like an early day and agree to get you on the water at first light with all the equipment ready and waiting.

http://www.mountainangler.com

Ask for Scott G as a guide. He is a yinzer

Second on Mountain Angler. Run off may be an issue at that time of the year also. Go into the mountains and search out some lakes, the fish will be hungry at that time of the year. Winchell Lakes.

Just checked out their web site, looks like a "keeper"!! Definately will be giving them a call. Thanks to all for the help/advice!!

+3 for Mountain Anglers. My wife and I did a half day with them on the Blue River in 06. It was the first time fly fishing for both of us. We got a crash course on fly casting at the local baseball diamond and headed to the river just North of town. We both caught fish that day. It was a really nice time, the guide was a good teacher and put us on some fish. I think the guide's name was Doug. With or without a guide I would fish the Blue River. It runs right through town. You could walk if you wanted to.

Wow, too many choices, so little time. I may actually take an extra day at this point. I'd like to do a smaller stream (1/2 day trip) like South Platte, and perhaps a float trip on a larger stream. This forum is a bad influence!!!

Time to book a place to stay. Any recommendations for a fishing/hunting lodge type place? My internet search came up with a couple ski type resorts - which are nice, but not quite the vibe I was looking for. The ski type resorts included: Mountain Thunder, The Villages, Grand Timber Lodge. Since my wife and 2 adult daughters will be with me, I can't get away with something too rustic. Thanks!!

JackM wrote:
If the cost of the guide isn't an issue, I'd lean toward using one with limited time so as to maximize your chance of having a good trip. Get a hold of them way ahead of time, explain your time restraints and do as much advanced planning as you can. Maybe he/she would like an early day and agree to get you on the water at first light with all the equipment ready and waiting.

+1, when in CA I decided to go out for a day and because their regs are a mess and I wanted to go where the wild fish were, I decided on a guide for a day. It was money well spent, because even though the water I fished was mostly on private land, we could float the river. Plus I didn't take any equipment with we, and the guide had everything I needed.

All I know is they make some good craft beer.

Have fun!

Here are some stream ideas from a local guide. And if you need a guide, there you go.

http://blog.gobreck.com/index.php/outside/fly-fishing-adventures-near-breckenridge/

I'd go with his last suggestion, Mohawk Lakes, and that Spruce Creek coming out of the lakes. That's close to town, spectacular alpine scenery, a waterfall, and cutthroat trout. And it says bighorn sheep are in the area.

You can go on a mapping site, like AcmeMapper, and check out the area.

I stayed at GRand Timber Lodge for a ski trip. Very nice, condo style accomodations (living room, kitchen)

Thanks Laszlo, I've heard nothing but good things about Grand Timber. Looks like the place.

Thanks troutbert as well. To save time, I will be contracting a guide. This helps!!

Back