Boot Studs

I screwed the Kold KUtter (1/2") screws into my wading boots and tested them on the Salmon River yesterday. WOW what a difference. I almost didn't even need my wading staff. Those screws are killer, grippy as hell. There is no need to pay the price for korkers. Those things are money.

mcwillja wrote:
I screwed the Kold KUtter (1/2") screws into my wading boots and tested them on the Salmon River yesterday. WOW what a difference. I almost didn't even need my wading staff. Those screws are killer, grippy as hell. There is no need to pay the price for korkers. Those things are money.

Glad you liked them as much as I did. I couldn't believe the performance ... better than other studs I've used that were preposterously more expensive.

I bought a 250 ct. pack of 3/8" screws directly from the company and they had them shipped to me in about a day or two.

I replaced the old screws on my Chota boots and I love them so far. I have not tried them on the stream yet, but they are top quality and seem to be well worth the cost.

I plan to add them to my Simms felt soles as well. I will see if they stay in the soles or if a little super glue may be needed.

I bought a pair of Bailey's wading boots over the summer (two pairs actually) and they have nice thick soles but no studs. I've only fished in them a handful of times, but have slipped more times than usual and definitely need to get studs in them. These studs look like they will do the trick; has anyone had any luck in finding a local dealer that carries them? The Kold Kutter online store recommends buying from a local dealer, but I didn't see any dealer search function on their website, nor do I know what pricing might be from a brick & mortar shop. I found a bag of 250 1/2" studs for $13.07 online but throw in $8-$9 in shipping and that ends up not being as great and I'm at about the list price of a bag (although I only have $86.93 to go to get free shipping!).

If you have a West Marine close by you can get 1/4 X 1/4 ss hex head screw which will serve the purpose. GG

wsender wrote:
greenlander wrote:
jdaddy wrote:
and to article writer . . . couldn't.

couldn't?

The very last sentence of the article...

That said, at 8 cents a piece, I could care less.

... could should be couldn't.

lol. Greenlander, I had no idea you were the guy who wrote the article. Nice job writing something up to save folks legit money on a really easy process. All to often I will see people spend hours "saving" money. This is a very easy way to do it. And effective I might add. I was at the SR this weekend and Tilt had a bag of these things. I decided to "add" some traction to the Simms dudes that I have and what do you know? The majority of them were as slick as . . . . well slick as rocks! These screws are a major win.

Note, if you use a drill driver or impact driver (i.e. a chuckless drill system) the screws fit right into the standard fitting that is built into the driver. 1/4" head.

Greenlander, don't sweat the proof reading. It's something silly that I do as it is amazing how often folks (including me from time to time) do that.

Salmonoid, I will see if I can find a cheaper shipping solution from a vendor.

Anyone want to split the price of a bag of 250 3/8"? I don't need 250, even with 125 I should have plenty of extras.

Take a dremel tool and a cutting wheel and cut a slot big enough to use a screwdriver with.

I use self tapping screws with a hex head. # 6 by 3/8 inch. It's all you need, can't believe someone wrote an article. You can buy a box of 100 for about $6.

Chaz,

If you saw these screws you would know why. Much better than a standard screw. The head is not flat it has an edge to them that is somewhat sharp and grips well. They are made for motorcycle tires to grip on ice which standard sheet metal screws are not.

Chaz wrote:
I use self tapping screws with a hex head. # 6 by 3/8 inch. It's all you need, can't believe someone wrote an article. You can buy a box of 100 for about $6.

It's fairly evident you didn't read the article...

greenlander wrote:
mcwillja wrote:

Glad you liked them as much as I did. I couldn't believe the performance ... better than other studs I've used that were preposterously more expensive.

I almost bought a pair of 85 dollar korkers but couldn't justify the price, then i came across the Kold Kutter screws at Melinda's in Altmar. Glad I did. I will be getting more.

i purchased a pair of wadders while fishing ny last month, my wadders tore so it was a "must " purchase. my budjet was not alot so i setteled for columbia rummer bottom boots. can i just screw these or other screws in the bottom or have to get korker strap-on kleets. i dont like the kleets but in my only option.

w/o seeing the waders, i'd say you'd probably be fine. just look at the boot bottom. if it looks like a standard boot sole (standard thickness) just screw them in.

i ordered a bunch of these screws some time ago. should be here.

JDaddy,

Some time ago? I had mine delivered via USPS Priority Mail in two days . . .

CLSports wrote:
JDaddy,

Some time ago? I had mine delivered via USPS Priority Mail in two days . . .

Ya few weeks. I need to follow up but keep forgetting.

Back