Boa lacing system experiences

All this talk of laces sent me searching.
I ran across Kevlar Laces. Kevlar sounds like it may hold up to our abuse.
Below is the reply I received when I asked about how waterproof they may be and how they'll hold up to repeated soaking and drying.
"

Thanks, black Kevlar will hold up very good, their only weakness is if the eyelets are rough, they tend to wear a little." This was LAces.pronto.com

I have a pair of metalheads and so far no problems but it is a little scary to get tools with your boots(Dont lose the screw driver)

I have the Simms Rivertek and I LOVE the boa system. So easy on and off. Also much easier to tighten and loosen while in the water if I need a micro-adjustment.

Have not had a failure yet, but I do carry some duct tape with me as an emergency fix. I had the same concern prior to purchasing them but it has been smooth sailing so far.

Yea maybe I should be the sales rep. I do have an extra lace but my stitching is also ripping. I think I'm going to try and do what nick said and upgrade or at least trade for something else. It sucks that they're so quick and easy.

Love my Simms Riverteks with Boa....No issues.

IdratherbePhishing wrote:
I do have an extra lace but my stitching is also ripping. .

I have the Bean version (Rivershed?), and my "laces" are fine, but the right boot has basically fallen apart after less than a year.

The little mesh grommets popped out. the stiching ripped, and its generally in rough shape. The left side? 100%.

FWIW, I bought from Bean with the express reason that I can walk back in and receive a new pair. I intend to do so.

I wanted to provide an update to this story, in case other board members like some real world data to help with deciding which companies to do business with. At the time that the Boa system failed, I submitted a request to both Boa and Korkers, notifying them of the failure and even sending a picture to Boa through their online system. Korkers promptly contacted me. They initially asked that I return the boots to the place of purchase for an exchange, but my size was no longer in stock, so that did not work out. They then made sure that I had not been sent used boots or anything of that sort, and finally, after my wife got tired of the broken boots taking up space in our room a few weeks ago, and she moved them upstairs, I remembered I had them and got back in touch with Korkers. Today, a replacement pair arrived. The customer service rep at Korkers was great to deal with, and I am "whole" again, in that I now have two functioning pairs of wading boots again. I'm still skeptical of the Boa system (and never did hear anything back from Boa - this issue was clearly a problem with their component). But its refreshing to work with a company that fully stands behind their wares.

I have a pair of Bean boots that are boa....I wanted the laces, but they only carried the boot I got in the BOA model at the time. I went with LL Bean because of the warranty....I sure hope they don't fail me on the stream. I was a little anxious in buying BOA boots after having BOA hiking boots returned to the store I worked at frequently when they first came out.

Back