"blue lining" ?

Blue lining means small stream wild trout fishing in remote locations, originally done by picking out a small blue line on a topographic map which looked promising. Today people use other tools to find and select streams, but the purpose remains the same.

For those of you who aren't fond of it, good. Leaves more fish for me. Landed the largest wild brown of my life on one of those streams last year.

Gotta love the locals who drive by that probably think you're chub fishing. "We dont stalk that der crik!!"

One of my favorite things to do is drive down into Ingleby or Poe Paddy when there is a bunch of cars and say to my fishing partner loud enough for the guys in the parking lot to hear... "they musta just stocked here based on the number of cars". You get some funny stares and most likely get someone to point out that they don't stock this creek...its all wild fish. To which I reply....I dunno...

You can brown line using blue line techniques.

Searching for native gems in pristine, virgin, never before fished waters in impossibly difficult to get to locations. An alternate, but also acceptable definiton is fishing Valley Creek. These are ventures best left to the true professionals of PAFF using Simms products exclusively. If that's too much for you, may I humbly suggest you try your local DHALO, or whatever it's called now.

Hehe. In all seriousness and simplicity, it means exploring and trying new streams. Some turn out to great, some are busts, most are somewhere in between...that's the fun in it...exploring and figuring it out. The tools for this are now much more than just a topo map thanks to the Internet, but I still look at a topo first and then research from there.

Do your research to learn all the famous streams.

Then go fish the OTHER streams.

Streamerguy:

I think I got that look today when I pulled into a game lands parking lot and starting putting my gear together. There was a gentleman in his truck getting ready to pull out, but he looked at me for about a minute, probably trying to figure out what the heck I was doing fishing in a ditch. Didn't bother me a bit, other than worrying he was gona come back and catch my brookies! hahaha

BrooksAndHooks wrote:
Streamerguy:

I think I got that look today when I pulled into a game lands parking lot and starting putting my gear together. There was a gentleman in his truck getting ready to pull out, but he looked at me for about a minute, probably trying to figure out what the heck I was doing fishing in a ditch. Didn't bother me a bit, other than worrying he was gona come back and catch my brookies! hahaha

This time of year "the look" is usually because the person is thinking trout season isn't open yet.

My favorite part is getting lost taking an unplanned turn and in the middle of nowhere you end up seeing a little stream flowing through the woods and you think "hmm.....that looks fishy" but have absolutely no knowledge of the place.

A memory of something similar:

Once, in NW PA, everything was running really, really high. I wasn't exactly bluelining on purpose, but was relegated to fishing small brookie streams. Well, there's one, where to access the best part, you drive the ridgeline above on a featureless dirt road with the window down. At the area I wanted to go, there's a waterfall, and you can hear it from the road. So when you hear the falls, that's when you pull over and park.

Well, on this day, I'm driving, I hear the water, pull over, park, go down. Hmm. No waterfall here. And this stream is a bit smaller than I remember. We must be upstream of it. So we fish down, catch a few, expecting to come on the area I know. But instead, we hit a very large stream indeed. Now I'm puzzled. So we hike back up to where we started, and go upstream. No waterfall, but we're catching a few fish. It's getting late so I take a tributary of that takes us back towards the road, and catch still more fish.

Finally make it back to the car, get out the maps, and realized we fished the wrong stream! The dinky streams were running so high as to make them audible from the road, and it messed us up. Neither the stream we fished nor it's trib were on the fish commission's wild trout list, and the trib was unnamed. They weren't "good" fishing, but we caught fish.

I wrote an e-mail to the PFBC telling them were we found the fish, I didn't get a response. But 2 years later, I saw the stream and it's unnamed trib were to be added to the natural reproduction list.

Troutbert:

I agree, but then again what says I was trout fishing. They would not think there would be trout in there. Probably a lot of questions raised.

Pcray: Awesome story!

Back