Bitterroot Valley, MT

There are some smaller streams in the area, but the only one I fished was Rock Creek. If you drive up along the Big BlackFoot it gets fairly small. That's about it as far as what I know. I was there during the winter If you get into the Bob there are small streams there, and Glacier Park isn't that far away once you get to Missoula. Of course it's relative to the size of MT. There are a lot of streams that have Bull Trout.

I guess I should have explained before.
If you get a hold of a copy of the trout streams of western Montana you will see that a river like the big hole will have dozens of tributaries all of which Will have multi tribs.The Upper Big Hole is within easy reach of Hamilton-.
Same goes for most big rivers-they will have dozens of tribs.
That is the least problem.
I had one of my half dozen top fishing memories for the 60+ yrs I have been fishing, on the big hole.Happened on July4 Th,72.I was fishing a hole behind a rock.I caught a fish on four consecutive casts.all around 12 inches.The unbelievable but true part they were a
brown
rainbow
brook
grayling[extremely rare,only caught one other]
The odds on that -4 fish,in four casts,4 different species are so unbelievably high it may never have been done before in a trout stream.I would not believe any other person on the planet telling me that but it happened.

pete41,

My most memorable day fishing came on the Big Hole River at the mouth of Fishtrap Creek in early August, 1992. A good friend and I, taking turns at the same spot, caught more than 60 fish each - rainbows, brooks and grayling. This includes several rainbows near 20 inches and some brookies of 15 to 16 inches. We were like a pair of drunken sailors, wearing ourselves out. Quite a few were grayling and a lone white fish. Although circumstances now take me to New Mexico when I go out west, I'm planning on a return to the Big Hole next year. What a place!

Back