Big Water 5 weight

Hahaha didn't catch that. Reading on phone at work. :-D

Thanks again!

Might try to fish towards end of the month. If I do and you're up there....demo day.

kray let me cast his Elite and I am saving for one as we speak. Listen to him.

krayfish2 wrote:
No problem. In prior post, I said Dave Rothrock tossed it 125'. Is that long enough? LMAO
The problem is Dave can do that with most any rod. He could cast 125 feet of binder twine tied to the end of a broomstick! LOL

Keith,

Let me fill a room with 25-40 yr old Russian & Ukrainian women needing a husband. You can go in and talk me up just before I walk in and blow my chance with every one of them. LMAO

I currently have the VXP lined with gold. Like you said, it's not the perfect line for that rod, but I think overlining it a whole size wouldn't work either. I would be interested to see how the perception works for you. I was thinking about picking up a GPX line at some point unless you have great results with the perception. I was also contemplating the Orvis Hydros 3D. Let me know what you find out.

I would adive you to also try the TFO BVK. I have the 5 wt and it can not only do the distance but the short stuff isn't horrable to cast. The price will allow you to buy a quality reel, a spool and 2 lines for the price of a Helios II.

A 6wt it's a much better choice for the system. I use a relatively moderate 6wt (Scott g 906) there with dt6f line.

The nearest big water to me is Big Pine Creek. I bought a flyrod years ago just to fish this stream and any other large streams I may encounter. The rod I chose was a G. Loomis 9' 6 weight GL3. I have never had any regret choosing the 6 weight over the same model 5 weight. IMO the 6 weight is a better all-around big water rod.

I fish the Delaware system as my home water and fish the sage one 690, Scott radian 5 and believe it or not a winston biiix three weight! All have different applications depending on conditions!

I agree with Krayfish. Go with a 6 weight. I fish a St. Croix Legend 9' 6 weight overloaded with a WF7 on the Delaware. Never let me down.

Back