Big Spring meeting

wgmiller

wgmiller

Saw this on the PFBC's Facebook page:

Public Workgroup Meeting Scheduled for Big Spring Creek

HARRISBURG, Pa. (Sept. 13) – The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) has scheduled a public workgroup meeting on Monday, Sept. 23. This meeting is anticipated to set the course for the future, long-term management of Cumberland County’s Big Spring Creek.

The meeting will be held from 6-8 p.m. in the Large Group Room at the Big Spring High School, located at 100 Mount Rock Road, Newville, PA 17241. Guests should enter the facility through the auditorium entrance.

The purpose of this facilitated workgroup meeting is to gather information from the public as it pertains to the future fisheries management and habitat management of Big Spring Creek.
“The PFBC desires to manage Big Spring Creek in a way that first and foremost protects the resource, but does so while striving to meet the expectations of those who fish her waters,” said Dave Miko, Chief of the PFBC Division of Fisheries Management. “Participants should expect a brief overview of the current conditions of the fish populations and habitat improvement project, followed by facilitated small group sessions designed to gather input from everyone participating in the meeting.”

In order to make the best use of the limited time, guests are strongly encouraged to preregister for the meeting by calling 717.705.7832 or emailing mridgway@pa.gov with the subject line: Big Spring Meeting.

Media Contacts – Eric Levis, Press Secretary
717.705.7806 or elevis@pa.gov

I'll be there and will do a short write up.

What is this meeting about?

What issue or issues led to the calling of this meeting?

What options are under consideration?

troutbert wrote:
What is this meeting about?
What issue or issues led to the calling of this meeting?
What options are under consideration?

I suppose it could be described as a chat session in the never ending drama that is Big Spring. There remains some disagreement among stake holders about how to move forward with management goals including issues such as balance of species (brooks vs bows), sediment control and removal plans, stocking, special regulations, reclamation of stream channel etc.
In short, it's much the same debate that was unfolding fifty years ago. There may be some new proposals/concerns coming from PFBC.

Fishidiot and I went to the PFBC Big Spring Meeting last night. The format was modified to be more of a workshop. The PFBC asked specific questions and gathered the feedback to be reviewed. Very civil and a well organized meeting.

Prior to the meeting Dave and I meet up at Big Spring to check out the work done on Phase 2 of the creek. Looked great with a lot of improvements done to help trout and anglers in that section.

Dave and I will be working on a writeup to provide more details on the Phase 2 project and meeting. Good to see just_jon at the meeting.

Attachments

• _CDK7162.jpg
    _CDK7162.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 4
  • _CDK7147.jpg
    _CDK7147.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 3
  • _CDK7194.jpg
    _CDK7194.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 5
Dave
How many people showed up to the meeting?

Probably about 10 folks from PFBC and 25-30 folks sitting in on the meeting. Well run meeting.

Back