big spring creek

paphishin89

paphishin89

So I spent yesterday on big spring creek and had a blast. I only managed to land one but it was a nice 12 inch bow. My main problem was spooking the fish. I could manage to sneak up on them but my cast would scare them away. Using and indicator probably didn't help much. Just wondering if anyone had some tips for fishing there. Thanks!

It's just a hard stream to fish, dude. Congrats on not getting the skunk! There are so many trout in there that you can't help but line some of them.

I recently fished there for the first time as well, and my experience seems about identical to yours. Those fish in the open just were not actively feeding. It was difficult to do, but once I gave up casting to the fish I could actually see, I picked up 3 little guys in the riffles.

I was hoping to chuck a big streamer just to see if I could **** off one of those freakishly large bows into biting...ran outta time tho. Next time.

paphishin89 wrote:
Just wondering if anyone had some tips for fishing there. Thanks!

There's no secret to this stream, or any of the other Cumberland Valley major league streams. My usual advice when people ask about how to fish these creeks is to point out that the local trout in BS,FS, and Letort are bottom feeders and this is particularly true in winter. If you're interested in learning more about BS and similar waters (besides the great deal of info on this forum) I'd recommend Mike Heck's book Spring Creek Strategies. This will provide a very good foundation of information.

Better yet book Mike for a trip. He is running winter specials. He is great guy to fish with on these spring creeks and ties some nice patterns.

Awesome thanks for the info. I was blown away by the size of some fish in there. Heading back next week hoping to get one of the monsters. That was my first time on a creek like that I usually fish the tully or some small streams around reading area, was really cool being able to spot fish like that.

I just recently obtained his book, it's a good one...

There are some "secrets" to having success on streams like Big Spring and Letort, but you'll have to figure them out over time :) The fish that you see aren't typically the ones you catch...

Geo's right. Stop fishing to the fish you can see. There are thousands of fish in that stream, you ain't seeing a fraction of them.

Jay....your approach to "****" a big one off, that's the way to go on BS. I hate to admit it, it's not my favorite approach to FFing, but man, it works.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Jay....your approach to "****" a big one off, that's the way to go on BS. I hate to admit it, it's not my favorite approach to FFing, but man, it works.

I believe it. I was heavily armed too...had my streamer box and everything in the car; but I wanted to get on the board and stuck w/ nymphs.

By the time I got a fish, I realized I was too far from the car to go back and re-rig. Next time...just wish I lived closer!

Anyone ever try floating a curly sighter with 7x tippet off that to a small weighted nymph? I bet it would work. The curly lands gentle, i doubt fish see it and is ultra sensitive. A size 18 2.0 tungsten bead nymph work work off that rig, and the curly would hold it up.

That worked on the letort well, and the Davidson in NC

I've been wanting to get there but I've been too busy with work.

I'm sure there are a lot of techniques that work on this stream. The toughest thing about the stream, apart from stealth, I think is the fact that the water has no shortage of food. Those trout can gorge constantly. So, what are you gonna do to make them eat your fly as opposed to the crapton of food that's in the stream already?

The real issue is the stream has been heavily fished over the last 2 years and the fish are now just incredibly spooky from the all pressure. And they have seen it all tossed at them.

Big attractors work.

The real issue is the stream has been heavily fished over the last 2 years and the fish are now just incredibly spooky from the all pressure. And they have seen it all tossed at them.

Its like night and day but, thats old news we just cant change.
You can still catch'em. Just not as eager to take yer fly.
Used to have to work to get to them and then the fishing was relatively easy. Now its easy to get to them and the catching is work.
Scuds and sculpins.

Proper casts, proper drifts, an proper depth. That's all you need. Presentation is everything.

Back