BEWARE: FF Elbow

I've been dealing with this too. Mine is most definitely NOT caused by fly fishing. I spent most all of last summer on a remodeling project, hanging sheet rock cabinets, hardwood flooring, doors trim, the whole she-bang. No issues to speak of. Raking leave in the fall however I had a really sore forearm. Ached like a tooth ache in the cold deer hunting. Hurt to pick up a gallon or milk and even my coffee cup. This went on for over three months! Made it a point to NOT fish in March for fear it might flair up again.

Ice and Ibuprofen. And rest.

Happily, so far the little fishing I've done hasn't been too bad. Dunno how the oars are going to effect the elbow, but I hoping the worst is behind me.

That's how it happens though, you know in your mind you can do it, but eventually your body betrays you. F-ing leaves can lay there all winter from now on.

Dave
Hope the worse is over for you, too. But if you need to man the oars for a series of floats and the pain comes back, a cortisone shot is an option, but as Pcray indicted you won't want to make a habit of it. My elbow is amazingly better after a few days. Catching those Yough bows may be worth it!

I had it six years ago. Same as what you are all saying....couldn't lift a coffe cup. Darn painfull. I'm pretty sure it started when doing reverse curls. Got in to see an orthopedic's PA. He told me to lift everything with palms up and to quit the reverse curls. He gave me a series of stretching exercises. Told me to ice the area for ten minutes. Get it as cold as I could. Then do the stretches and repeat the ice. Did this for about a month. I continue to try and remember to lift everything with palms up. No problems since since.

bikerfish wrote:
also, if using NSAIDs or even getting a steroid shot, still have to let it heal, it may feel better, but by using it your just causing more damage.

Good advice biker fish. But taking it easy this time of the season is not an option for me. There's good fishing everywhere, even on marginal streams, hatches starting up, stripers moving in Lake Arthur, plus I can't sit still. Glass rod is a cool thought. That's what I started ff on many, many moons ago -- Classic Eagle Claw

I've broken my collar bone three times in my life. The most recent was just last year. I went fishing in a stream I've never fished before only a week after I broke it. Wow, now that was a painful fishing trip. I did manage a fish or two. It's all worth the pain.

Another option is to get a massage. Tendonitis originates in the forearm muscles. They get tight and increase the tension on the tendons. I get a massage monthly and when it really flares up I have my therapist concentrate on that forearm. Usually the following day it's pretty bruised but it will loosen everything up. It hasn't totally solved my problem, but it has made it much more tolerable. The only solution that I am aware of is rest and physical therapy. Unfortunately I can't rest it so I do what I can to live with it for now.

Picking up on Sekora's useful ideas about massage's benefits: you may want to look into accupuncture. I used to think it was a weird counterculture fringe movement, but my wife, who is very knowledgable about things medical, recently started getting it and now swears by it. The other factor swaying me is my late father, who was very traditional about mainstream science and medicine, having gone to U/Penn for a medical degree and also run hospitals after getting an MBA from Cornell (2nd or 3rd career, in effect). Late in life he got curious about accupuncture and took some courses. He told me he thought it had something to it, which was quite a concession since he believed strongly in conventional medicine and technology. Most of his doctor and nurse friends thought he was being fanciful when he told them of his new interest.

Not to sound like a douche or anything but have you ever considered lifting weights and/or some kind of exercise program?

Tendonitis is an overuse injury.

Don't get me wrong, if it's in knees, hip, ankle, etc., then losing weight will certainly help. Putting less stress on the problem area.

But elbows, shoulders, etc. You do want frequent motion of the area. But not the exact motion which causes the pain. Generally speaking, if the activity causes pain, don't do it. If the activity involves movement of the area but doesn't cause pain, do it!

I have tendonitis in my ankle/chin areas as well as in my right elbow. The ankle one I've had since college, and yes, losing weight would help. But that one's pretty debilitating, as it's not so easy to stop walking! I've learned to deal with it some. When I jump out of the car and start walking, specially in a "steady gate" type situation like walking a road, is when it really flares up and becomes crazy painful. I sit down for a few minutes till it calms down. I've learned that it helps to stretch it prior to a hike, start any hiking/walking at a slow pace, and stopping IMMEDIATELY as soon I feel the slightest pain, not waiting till it gets unbearable. People who have hunted or fished with me, I'm sure, get a little worried about my ability to keep up when we have an ambitious day planned, and 5 minutes from the car I'm already struggling and having to sit down. They may also note that I tend to be the first one geared up and I start down the path before they're ready. I'm not being "overly excited", nor am I trying to hurry them. I'm trying to get a buffer so that I can walk really slowly for a while, and stop for breaks before they catch up, else I'll be the one holding everyone else up. But it's usually just that first 10-20 minutes. Then it's loosened up and I'm ok for the rest of the day.

Another thing that helped, some, was inserts in my shoes. The source of my tendonitis, I'm told, is that I under-pronate when I walk. The first time I saw a doctor they gave me arch support, which was 100% the wrong thing because it became far worse immediately. And I had spent a lot of money on inserts for all my shoes, lol. On this very forum, one member was a doctor, and recommended lateral heal wedges instead. I couldn't find them at CVS and the like, but I could order them, and did for like $5 per pair. They didn't "solve" the problem but they do help quite a bit.

As for the elbow, that's new. And not all that serious. Yet, anyway. I haven't figured out the activity that triggers it, it's just always sore if I twist my arm a certain way, but I seem to almost never twist it that way in daily life, so I dunno why I got it. I just stretch it a lot and it hasn't really been a problem. It developed this winter and I was worried about casting a fly rod. But spring came and a few outings proved there's no pain associated with that motion.

I'm sorry to the OP that can't fish knowing that therea active fish...

Another thought is to haul better ie use the other off rod hand to generate line speed and take a large amount of work off the rod hand...

Kinda surprises me this didn't come up but I guess there's many that only fish small trout streams and the fly line never gets out past 30'

At 17 happy stuff like that doesn't affect me. It's the ice hockey

pcray1231 wrote:
Regarding the cortisone. Wonderful stuff. It's like, "I'm cured!" Just a warning. It wears off. And they'll give you another, which will also work. But it too will wear off, and considerably quicker than the last. Each time it's less effective and shorter lasting than the last.

Likely true if you keep doing the same damn thing over and over again.

I have plantar fasciitis in my heel complete with a significant spur.

The Podiatrist is also a fly angler, and it was steelhead season, so in addition to the shots, I had him write a prescription to soak it in cold water, preferably moving water while holding a long pole for balance. Wife didn't buy that. But honey, he did write that.

First shot and orthotic inserts took care of it for a few years. A couple years later the wife throw away my favorite tennis shoes, after I specifically told her not to. Guess where my newest the $250 inserts were? Why don't they listen?

I eventually got it again and had to go back for shots. I probably got it back from wearing boots with less than ideal support. Great, all better. But then I forgot about it. A couple months later I was having trouble attaching an implement on the tractor three point. No problem. I'll just give it a "nudge" with my heel.

Dump farmer dumb farmer dumb farmer.

Had to get the shot again.

Doctors don't like to give you that more than a couple times a year.

It occasionally flares up again, but I now have a brace that I can wear at night that allows it to settle down without shots.

Greenghost, I realize what you have is worse, but I've had tendonitis in the elbow, likely from splitting and stacking firewood. I don't fish nearly as much as you. I still split by hand. I tried casting with the other hand, but it was very awkward. So I simply switched from the heavy bamboo rod back to using plastic fly rods for awhile.;-)

One time I actually had it in both elbows at the same time. I couldn't grip anything with either hand. Just drinking a cup of coffee required me to hold it between both hands.

The braces and Advil eventually took care of it. But you have something different, and worse.

There is tennis elbow (below the elbow) and racket ball elbow (above the elbow). I've had both, but don't play either.

And don't get me started about shoulders. Went to see the doctor about my shoulder. It's never been right since HS baseball. I have arthritis in it now. At the time, he was training an intern. They both examined me and the intern gave his opinion. the doctor said, what we have is a 50 year old man with a 70 year old shoulder (was a few years back). I spoke up and said, but my other shoulder is only about 40 so I guess it evens out. Now I have a pinched nerve in my neck which causes my left shoulder (I'm a lefty) to ache and pins and needles all the way to my wrist. I may need surgery some day, but for now the chiropractor is giving me some relief. Besides, she and her sister who also works there are kind of hot for their age.;-)

They (her and my regular doctor) recommended I get one of those traction devices that attach to the top of a door. But I'm almost as tall as the door.;-)

I may have to rig something up in the basement at my fly tying desk. But honey, I'm only following doctors orders!

Had ankle surgery in 06- from frayed tendon running along the side of my foot. It was directly related to wading and they way I position myself while fishing. ( I had a problem with Yellow Creek then) It was one of those aching pains , not severe but constant. Got medical leave for 6 weeks- in the fourth week I was wading. The ankle had to be opened up to repair the tendon- sucker swelled for 2 years. Lotsa ice.

I had plantar fascia- sucks. The night splints work for sure- two weeks and I was symptom free. Can be crippling but mostly just a soreness on my heel. Had some cortisone shots but really the splints really work.

Think I spend the same on Advil Liqi gels as my gym membership.

I feel better now than 10 years ago- its directly related to working out. Lost 30-40 pounds since then, makes all the difference. Although I can get quite sore from the gym- that's mostly temporary muscle aches.

I was going to comment on my knee (partially torn cartilage) and arm (acute tendinitis in the bicep tendon) but after reading this thread I'm starting to feel rather healthy.

For some of the muscle/tendon problems a good physical therapist can do wonders. They aren't all the same. For my arm problem the first PT got no results in 6 weeks. The second, on a recommendation of a friend, had completely different methods and started getting results in a few weeks. (Apex in Horsham if anyone wants a recommendation.)

All my aches and pains feel better after a couple shots of 100 proof bourbon.

JackM wrote:
All my aches and pains feel better after a couple shots of 100 proof bourbon.

Be sure to trade off arms so as not to develop more problems.

I did have to switch to taking shots with my left hand to rest a bourbon elbow I developed.

OA of the elbow is extremely rare. Might want to consult with a PT and see whats going on, and even if it IS OA, should be able to help you feel a little better depending on exactly whats going on, or set you up to better manage your OA.

Goodluck

I had this same issue 2 years ago. Quick solution for me was a brace sold in drug stores. Longer term fix is to learn to cast right and left.

I second Pcray's comments. My left shoulder was giving me problems. Luckily not my casing shoulder. In March they said surgery or a shot. Surgery requires about 12 weeks of convalescence. The peak trout season was very near to start so I opted for the shot. LIKE A WONDER DRUG.

The shot they give you (cortisone) can actually do more harm than good and is only a temporary fix if it's something serious. If it works for you then good, but it will actually cause breakdown of tissue in addition to the resolution of inflammation and pain. Cortisone is not going to fix OA if that's the real issue with your elbow.

Back