Best steelhead streamer hooks

W

Wmass

Wondering what everyone's favorite hooks are? Model and brand? I have a hard time finding them around where I live and ordering online hasn't been successful.

Tiemco 7999. Pick your size.

Tiemco 5262 or 5263

almost any streamer hook that is at least 2x strong will do the job.

I'm not picky either. In addition to strong, I generally like them a little on the shorter side, like 3X long. The leverage of long shanks can help them come loose IMHO.

More importantly, need to keep streamer hooks very sharp to drive the point home and it really helps to use a strip set or a side pull to set the hook. The old lift the rod that works so well with trout flies wouldn't get a good set with a streamer in the mouth of a fish with a big jaw bone, like a steelie or a trophy trout.

^ good point about the strip set. I've found that fish might just come back for another bite on a missed strike, but if you rip the fly out of the water, no bueno. There's sort of a hold on set I use, especially when my lines fairly tight and I'm swinging streamers. I feel that strike from the fish and hold on to the line until I feel him buttoned up, then strip set back. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but it's helped me....

J55tyger88 wrote:
^ good point about the strip set. I've found that fish might just come back for another bite on a missed strike, but if you rip the fly out of the water, no bueno. There's sort of a hold on set I use, especially when my lines fairly tight and I'm swinging streamers. I feel that strike from the fish and hold on to the line until I feel him buttoned up, then strip set back. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but it's helped me....

Yes it makes perfect sense to me.

GenCon

Back