Best nymphing graphite rod?

tabasco_joe

tabasco_joe

Given the two threads going on about nymphing; what's the best graphite rod for nymphing? I assume it has moderate action, but not one of the lower priced "noodles". Size? Weight? Brand?

All rods are a personnel preference but my sons competition rod is a 9 1/2' fast action tip flex Sage Z-Axis.

I use a fast action tip flex as well but mine is an Orvis T3 I bought from the local papershop for less than half the retail price. I really like the tip flex. I've used my son's Targus rod and liked that as well. My only problem is that I set the same no matter what the size of the fish and have sent many a creek chub into the trees since I also use barbless hooks. I definitely have less misses than I did with my trusty mid flex Fenwick. All of our rods are 4 weights except my Orvis which is a 5 but it works well enough for me.

I did get tangled allot switching initially but now all is good. No great!

The best rod I have used for nymphing or anything else is a Winston WT. I have the 8.5' 5wt. The WT taper is supposed to simulate bamboo. Some like a really fast rod for throwing weight, but I kind of like a slower action. I think the softer rod "lobs" weight nicely, without the blank "bouncing". I also think the rod transmits all the little sensations down to your hand well. Sometimes I set the hook without knowing just why. It's my guess I felt something, so the feel of a rod is important to me.

I have a loomis GL3 for that. I built it myself, and it's a little off balance from the screw ups in guide spacing.

I like it for nymphing because it's my longest 5wt, so that's what I use it for.

I like my st croix avid 9' 5 wt.
The older models had a faster tip, but the newer ones (like mine) have a more moderate action.

Overall, a good nymphing rod should be longer than a dry fly rod and have a fair amount of flexibility/sensativity/responsiveness; probably in a 4 or 5 wt.

However, in PA you can just get an "all-purpose" rod and it will work for all your fishing situations. Let's say, 8.5' or 9' 4 or 5 wt and your good to go.

Winstons are great rods. I'd love one as well.

As far as flex I was very scared of a fast action tip flex after coming off a midflex mid action Fenwick. I was surprised and l love the difference but am catching more creek chubs then ever. I didn't use to feel them which I didn't expect with a fast action stiffer tip flex. It's allot more sensitive than I thought. Try a ton of rods out. I bought my Orvis T3 rod from a guy that fishies a slower action Sage and he just didn't like this rod like his others, which included Winstons. I thought I might not either but I'm doing quite fine with it. I'm still new to the game but am slowly realizing how many options there are. Maybe Padriac will let you play with his Winston? As far as length I have long arms but still like a 9' for nymphing but again, it's how and where you fish.

You can get lots of nests with nymph rods. I probably like the faster flex because it lets me know right away when I mess up. This isn't always a good way to relax but it keeps me honest.

Large to medium sized streams - Sage XP 9' 5wt

Medium and smaller streams - Loomis Streamdance HLS 8.5' 4 wt.

Wetnet wrote: “As far as flex I was very scared of a fast action tip flex after coming off a midflex mid action Fenwick. I was surprised and l love the difference but am catching more creek chubs then ever. I didn't use to feel them which I didn't expect with a fast action stiffer tip flex. It's allot more sensitive than I thought.”

I believe a stiffer rod gives you more feel for nymphing. Think about this, ever ride in a sports car with a stiff suspension, you can feel every bump in the road. Now ride the same road in a cushy luxury car with a soft suspension that absorbs all the bumps.

I also have a G-Loomis GL3 I built myself but its a 9' 6wt. I use it almost all the time now. I know the 6 weight is a little over kill but I'm always after bigger trout and most of the streams I fish are fairly large. I also bought this rod to throw some streamers. It is an amazing rod I think. I only own 3 rods a 7' 3 weight for small streams, 8' 5 weight Fenwick for lower water and dry flies, and my 9' 6 weight GL3 for the bigger streams and streamers. I wish I had a lighter 9' but I don't have the money and I make due with what I have.

I'm a big fan of the St. Croix Avid, also. Mine is an 8' 5wt (I fish some streams with a lot of mountain laurel, so the shorter rod works). It's one of the medium action ones.

I also have a Sage FLi 8'6" 5wt, fast action. I don't like it as much.

My personal preference is for a medium action for nymphing, but that's just my opinion. Use what feels best for you. I'd recommend a 9' rod for most streams. I miss the extra length sometimes.

George

I like longer rods for nymphing.

The one I use most is a St Croix SCIV 10 foot 5 wt, but I also have a softer home built 10 foot 4 wt that I prefer some days.

Back