Best Fly Fishing Magazines

I think American Angler is the best, but like most people said, I'm not that crazy about any of them any more. Maybe my 1st 20 years fly fishing, but not now. I'm only posting to add my vote to what others said. So,...Ditto.

I stick to the online ones because the content is fresher and more on top of recent news instead of a month late. These are the two best I think.
http://www.ginkandgasoline.com/blog/
http://www.hatchmag.com/blog/free-flies-year/7711174

I think the place for print fly fishing publications in this day and age is long-form pieces. These pieces work in the online format as well, but not always as well (though design and presentation play a big part in whether it works or not).

Print is made for these lengthier pieces, and showcases them so well.

I get most of those mags...Fly Tyer is one of the best and most useful . I also get "Orvis News" which I enjoy as well. TU was to much about environmental issues and they're always trying to get me to become a lifetime member was overkill - so I let my subscription run out
American Angler - good stuff
Eastern Fly Fishing was also a likeable mag.

I think that after a while all mags and books for that matter pretty much start repeating their topics with different photos to them. This was most noticable with the Bass Pro Bass series books. It was like they just changed to cover picture and moved some chapters around.

Not being a technocrat, here are some questions: Can you flop down on a comfy chair in your fly tying room and read these online mags? On a Nook or Kindle? Or, do you have to sit at your computer or squint at a tiny phone screen to read them? Just a dinosaur wondering.

Although not strictly fly fishing the PA Angler has a fair number of Ff articles that are topical to PA - just could be more in depth.

The Drake has a few good articles but every other page is an ad and that bugs me.

Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide is still a good read. Paul and Mike try to keep it fresh. Also I read Fur Fish and Game. If you like a different outlook at fishing it may be for you. I agree that there is only so much to write about and fancy words do not make a article worth reading.

Agree on the Mid-Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide.

Although not strictly fishing, I also enjoy PA Outdoor News.

rrt wrote:
Not being a technocrat, here are some questions: Can you flop down on a comfy chair in your fly tying room and read these online mags? On a Nook or Kindle? Or, do you have to sit at your computer or squint at a tiny phone screen to read them? Just a dinosaur wondering.

Many of the online mags are perfectly readable on existing tablets (iPad, Kindle Fire, Galaxy, etc) as is. Some print mags - like the excellent Fly Fish Journal - have iPad-tailored versions which are excellent.

We're working on an all new design/layout that will make the reading experience more pleasurable, as well. Some examples of which have already been rolled out.

But -- along your lines of thinking -- there's no one replicating the joy of a good book or well crafted print journal (i.e. FFJ) in the digital format. Though I think we'll be seeing closer approximations soon, they're different animals.

The Drake and Fly Fisherman. I'll occasionally pick up Fly Fusion as well.

Back in the day I always liked American angler & flytyer.

I'm with you! I program computers for a living and prefer to spend more time away from the electrons when possible, and also like something interesting to read while "throne-sitting"... LOL or even while on a fishing or camping trip where there are no 'Internets'...

Regarding my Post 18 on this thread: I was "had." In the most recent issue of FFM, there were beck photos and their names were on the masthead. :-(

I don't currently subscribe to any except an occasional free Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing. I do like MAFF, Eastern Fly Fishing and Fly Tyer.

Back