Best 3 wt. options....fiberglass?

Bogey, welcome to the dark side! They are nice rods, to say the least. Bet it was a hoot catching that many fish on a glass rod.

Bogey, glad to hear you took the leap, and had a great day out. What reel and line did you put on it?

Thanks Salvelinus and outsider, orvis has a sale on their rod and reel outfits right now so I just went with the battenkill II with the hydros line.

In the future, if anyone is inquiring about a similar type rod, I highly recommend the Cabelas CGRs. They're inexpensive but a great rod.

I fish glass a lot (it's all i fish, w/ 1 cane rod in the mix for fun). I've casted the new Orvis glass rods up in Manchester on the casting pond. The CGR, at least for what I expect from a glass rod's action, is superior. But I like a lot of wiggle and I felt the Orvis was still stiffer than what I want for glass. That's personal preference, but I think the CGR has a truer "glass" feel to it.

Also, as someone mentioned, the Eagleclaw Featherlite is a great small stream rod as well. They don't make a 3wt that I know of, but even w/ 6wt line, the 6'6" rod is an awesome casting rod.

Sasquatch, that is a common opinion among many glass flyrodders - the Orvis rods are too fast. Some believe (including me) they are catering to people who are used to graphite rods. So be it, if that is their marketing approach. They are a far cry from the Golden Eagles, which were generally slower, full flexing rods.

That being said, if people like Bogey are delighted with the rod, that's all that matters.

I got the Cabelas after someone here alerted us to a sale. $51.00. Very nice rod for twice the cash. I casted the Orvis glass. Were money no object I'd have paid full price.

I did not have any experience with glass before and only had my graphite rod to compare it to. While I'm still quite happy with the rod, I will make sure to try the cabelas cgr when shopping for a 4 weight, 7'6. Thanks for the tips,

Outsider, you may be right. I'm glad it wasn't just me, though.

The Orvis was a fine casting rod, just not my style. Rods are very personal, I think.

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Also, as someone mentioned, the Eagleclaw Featherlite is a great small stream rod as well. They don't make a 3wt that I know of, but even w/ 6wt line, the 6'6" rod is an awesome casting rod.

Its a 3/4w. I fish mine with a 4w line and its a blast to fish. They make an 8' 5/6w Featherlight, which I just picked up but havent fished yet.

Bogey,

I have a suggestion for you. Cabelas will let you lawn-cast their rods at their facility. I've done this several times. I took my own reels. One of the rods I love is their Prime one piece 7'-1" 4 weight. It is a full-flexing rod, very smooth. Catch a good size trout on it and you will not soon forget it. Yeah, it's one piece, and it doesn't come with a tube. I made one out of PVC pipe. I have a couple dozen rods, and it's right there at the top of my favorites.

steveo27 wrote:
The_Sasquatch wrote:

Its a 3/4w. I fish mine with a 4w line and its a blast to fish. They make an 8' 5/6w Featherlight, which I just picked up but havent fished yet.

Is that a newer model? Last time I bought one, the 6'6" model was listed as a 4/5 I think, and it casted right w/ 6wt.

That rod just recently broke, so I'll be lookin' to replace the Claw.

Hello All,

Its been quite a while since I have been on the forum, but I am offering new custom built glass rods commercially since October 2015 and roughly a year prior to that for private sales, most are 2, 3 and 4 wt in various lengths and colors between 5 and 7'2". 5 and 6wt in 7, 7.'2 and 7'6. built in eastern PA

The_Sasquatch wrote:

Is that a newer model? Last time I bought one, the 6'6" model was listed as a 4/5 I think, and it casted right w/ 6wt.

That rod just recently broke, so I'll be lookin' to replace the Claw.

i purchased it last summer. I think there was a point where they may have been mislabeled. I believe I read this somwhere when doing some research.

If you search on Amazon, they are listed as 3/4w. They can be had for right around 25$ on there as well.

Back