Beginner Tips Anyone?

• Thread starter FishingCreekOutdoors
  • Start date
F

FishingCreekOutdoors

Hey everyone! Im 16, live near Fishing Creek which is a tributary of the Susquehanna and have dabbled with the idea of taking up trout fishing. Ive flyfished before and ive cought a couple and from then i was hooked. Im looking for any advice for beginners, maybe some tips,tricks, things to do, or things to watch out for. Im thinkin on purchasing a Rocky Mtn. Turbine Large Arbor Reel, Rocky Mtn. Turbine , i was wondering if this would be an alright reel for a small freshwater stream. Thanks for ANY advice! IM NEW TO THE FORUMS AND I ALREADY LOVE THEM! :-D :lol:

FCO,

Welcome to the Forum. By all means go for it with the flyfishing for trout. Look around on this and other forums within the site for tips discussed over the past few weeks. It is a popular subject this time of year. There is a lot of great info for the beginner. Just do a site search for "beginner" or "New to flyfishing".

Beginner fly fishing thread Here is a good one. Look for the post by Jack M especially.

I am not going to get into details but I am sure others will. The board seems to be filled with this stuff lately. Look around. I believe there maybe two live threads on this page alone.

Are you in York County? There are a ton of Fishing Creeks in Pa. Just curious. (there are two that are tribs to the Suskyin York County alone.)

As for the reel, that would be fine...keep in mind that a fly reel for trout is not much more than something to hold the line while fishing. You woon;t get into the drag often and Large Arbor reels are designed for picking up line quickly when fish run toward you.

Good luck,

Maurice

Please allow me to give you a flyreel reccomendation.

The Tioga reel by Teton. The spool sits on a large diameter spindle that has all the bearings sealed inside. You take some reels apart and you see cheap gears and a fine metal flange.
Open up this guy and you see a stout sealed housing for the gear.

It is machined from aluminum, not cast. Sharp looking as well. Also cheap, especially considering sealed works the likes of these are usually only available on much more expensive reels.

large arbor is not really neccessary.

Check this reel out. Available lots of places, including thefeatheredhook.com

I don't know how much money you have to spend, but at 16 I imagine you don't have a lot. A fly reel for most freshwater trout fishing doesn't do much more than hold the line, and unless you have a lot of money to burn I would spend as little as possible on one, as long as it's good enough quality that it will last and provide basic functionality. The Tioga reel that Bede menioned looks like an excellent one, but I believe it costs over $100 (Bede can correct me if I'm wrong). I would recommend the Orvis Clearwater . It only costs $40 and is very good quality for the price. Spend your money on the best rod you can afford (if you don't already have a decent one).

As far as advice for beginners, man, there are so many areas to cover that it's hard to know where to begin. Like Maurice said, you can look through a lot of previous posts here. I think the best way to get information here is to ask specific questions as they come up, and you'll get a lot of good info. Here's a good web site that already has a lot of short articles for beginners that might be helpful: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/ (Look in "Flyfishing Basics").

Fishing Creek is a well known trout stream and you should have a good time fly fishing there. Good luck and have fun!

For trout fishing pick up a Hobbs Creek reel from Bass Pro shops. Great reel for $40. Use the rest of the cash for line, flies, and other assorted necessities.

I'll second the advice about the reel. I have many rods and reels, some were very expensive. My goto outfit is an $80 cortland with a cheap carbon SA reel. It works, I like them, and if I loose or break them they are easily replaced.

I also believe that if you learn on entry level gear you will be that much better for it.

Alas no advice will replace time on the water. We can tell you things but they may not click until you see how it fits into the picture.

So read all you can on here, then get out there every chance you get and put it to practice. (a large portion of this sport is just being there with your fly in the water).

Good luck!

FishingCreekOutdoors - you just hit a special place in my heart. I grew up in Benton and was a 16 year old fly fisherman on Fishing Creek. That was a long time ago, but I still go back to visit and try to fish the creek as often as I can. Here's a tip - Try fishing a 16 -18 ant under the overhanging hemlock trees in the special regs area and behind the park. It still caught trout the last time I fished there.

Don't spend a lot of money on your reel. You'll be much better off spending your money on other things - tying materials, etc. Talk to some of the locals and they will help you. I remember Barry Beck offering me pointers. He's still around the area, but is very busy with his business, so I'm not sure he will be able to help. Does Mr. Musitano still teach at the high school? I think he used to fly fish and he may be able to help you.

Good luck and its great to know there are still kids in Benton who like to fly fish Fishing Creek!

Boy its a small world isnt it! haha, I know Mr. Musitano very well and he is in fact a teacher of mine. He seems to be a very knowledgable man who could spend some time helping out a guy like me :) Its nice to here from a fellow Bentonite :cool:
GO TIGERSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

I was looking on cabela's website the other day and if you don't have all the tools that you need to start out they have some great package deals for beginners. There are 2 that i saw that had rod, reel, rod case, backing, line, leader, box with flies, and one had your hemos, floatant, leader straightner etc. I think both options were in the range of 130-150... not bad at all. Just a little info if you'd be interested. Take your parents to cabela's and have them open a credit card... you get an additional discount and now you have leverage to buy more stuff :)

(I prob shouldnt have said that)

Hey fishing creek, I live in Stillwater myself. Fish fishing creek constantly. I teach school in Berwick, see you on the streams. As for the reel unless you have money to blow go cheaper on the reel. Spend your money on gas for the car to go fishing.

Hey man, go to Wal Mart, get a Scientific anglers or cortland set up for around 50 bucks, more or less. You'll get line leader rod and reel all in one package. Learn the basics and then worry about good gear. Just my 2 cents.

Back