August has been fun

dc410

dc410

I never remember having so much fun flyfishing during the month of August. I have been fishing for smallies and carp - and doing fairly well on both of them. I stopped the other day and got permission from an Amish farmer to fish his meadow, which opens up about a half mile of stream for me with some real big carp in it (didn't get a chance to fish that yet.... maybe Saturday AM).

But lately I have been into some of the best trout fishing for wild and native trout that I ever experienced in the month of August. I have been fishing a stream with limestone origin where the flow and temperature has been good and it has a good population of both wild browns and native brookies. I am generally a nymph-wet-streamer guy. That is where my confidence lies, but I have gotten into these fish all on dry flies. I know for many guys that is all you do - and I have to admit it is a whole lot of fun. The other day I was catching them on a size 14 Yellow Stimulator. It is really fun fishing a stream where there are both brookies and browns because you never know what the next cast will produce. I attached photos of a wild brownie and native brookie that I caught on back to back casts in almost the exact same lie. Just as I hooked the brownie I noticed a rise about a foot away from the one I just hooked. After taking the photo of the brown I cast back to area of the second rise and hooked up with the brookie. I very rarely cast back to the same spot after I have just caught a fish there, but in this case I'm glad I did. Stream conditions have been really great this summer!

Attachments

• Wild Brownie.jpg
    Wild Brownie.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Native Brookie.jpg
    Native Brookie.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 4
That's a great looking Brown. The Brookie's not bad too! Funny little stream isn't it...more and more vegetation showing up the last few years in the old dam section I've noticed too. Looking more and more like a legit limestoner. I often pass it up for one of the nearby freestone options, but I probably shouldn't.

A very wise Bigfoot like creature once told me there..."Dude don't walk through the frog water, fish it!"

I'm all over that frog water, Swattie. It's still a little bit hard to understand but it is what it is!. Thanks.

Nice looking fish!

I'm one of those people you mentioned that only fishes dry flies.

This has got to be the most moderate summer I have ever experienced in PA. Surely the reasonable temperatures will mean greater fish populations next year.. right?

I've had a pretty good August also.

Very cool. Those fish look great. Thanks for the report.

Yup...big brookies in the frog water. They like the slow stuff! That big brookie I caught came out of a frog water pool on that very same stream.

Now that's a good time, getting fish with two consecutive casts. Congrats. This has been a very mild summer over all I'm loving these temps!

I love it when you can catch both brookies and wild browns in the same stream pretty regularly. Makes things exciting.

This is by far the best aug Ive ever had for trout fishing as well. Cooler summer helps.

Back