Applying dry fly treatment

Think about the paste and dust, paste collects dust then sinks from weight, then add a silica powder to absorbe water, how much weight have you added to the fly alone. A really well tied dry fly should not need floatant.

Use a spray waterproofer that you use on clothes. Spray let die 24 hrs.Permanent water proofing. I also apply jacks dry fly floatant on stream.This combo, lasts all day. If it sinks a false cast or dessicant treatment and your good to go.

I treat all dry flies I tie with watershed at the vice. If I have enough time, I do it on bought flies too.

On the stream Gink is my choice, unless I'm fishing CDC. Then I use Frog's fanny.

Anyone else have a problem with Frog's fanny bottles coming open in your pack or pocket? Makes everything a mess.

I was told that there is "frog fanny" type of powder that is sold to bow hunters for their feathers. Supposed to be the same as frog fanny without the fly fishing mark up.

Yes, I have a bottle of the stuff and it the same as FF. It's not too common to find in stores as most hunters use plastic vanes rather than natural feathers. The only place I've seen it is in specialty archery shops, even then they don't always have it. My bottle cost around $8 and has about four times as much powder as a bottle of FF.

Online is an option too. Here's a link:

Feathe Powder @ Cabela's

Kev

Here's a really good deal on hydrophobic silica. I got a gallon of this stuff and a quart of hydrophyllic silica powder in a swap on another forum.

Hydrophobic silica repels water (floats the fly), and hydrophyllic silica dries the fly. Better angling through chemistry. :)

Best way I've found to refill the FF bottles is to use a turkey baster. I got one at the dollar store, and it keeps the silica where you want it - no mess.

For those that have trouble with losing bottles of FF on stream, or opening up in your pockets, this bracket works great!

Heritage- good find.

Thanks.

That's neat.

I usually just put it in a small bag.

Back