Any idea on manufacturer?

gfen wrote:
There are several small name manufacturers of rods out there there that you don't know about because they're not the top tier makers who buy advertising.

No way dude. Cabelas is a freakin' monster. Their potential scale of sales and production would overwhelm true "small manufacturers" If Cabelas is into this -- especially at that price point -- they're into it for the $. Scale of production is a huge part of that equation. I suspect "small manufacturer" is nothing more than a marketing ploy. Small is relative. Sage and all its subs (including Redington) could be considered small, but considering the production resources they deliver, my guess is them.

Just saw this online. Yeah. They're promoting this line big time.
No way a would they use a truly "small manufacturer"...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 8.12.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-11 at 8.12.16 PM.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 2
Could be Redington but most of their rods are made overseas. How about Rajeff Sports (Echo)? A year or so back, St Croix was making one of the models for Cabelas but it also said that right in the rod description.

Bass,

PM or give me a ring. I have a guy you should talk to that really knows his stuff on fly rods. His shop has built over 15,000 rods. He's built 3 rods for me and is in the process of building a VXP custom for me. Tossed Spicoli's around and the Catskill Jam and liked it so I traded 2 rods I don't use for a new build.

I need some clarification. When MADE IN USA is promoted does that mean the blank too? I can't help but think some stretch the language when they really mean ASSEMBLED IN USA. What do you think?

"hand crafted in the USA" indicates to me its assembled from offshored parts.

which rods land more fish? usa or overseas?

Mexican rods land more come complete with treble attached to rod tip

Just came back from visiting Cabela's with a friend who wanted to buy stuff. While there, I looked at the new rods & asked who makes them. They said Lewis River Rod Co - http://www.lewisriverrods.com/

They are new & looking for OEM business.

Hope their work is more impressive than their website.

I ended up seeing these rods in person in Hamburg this past weekend. I did like the nice spacer and uplocking ring, but the rods felt kind of mushy in the wiggle test. There is also a weird looking aluminum winding check at the top of the cork that does not blend well. I know looks don't equal performance but first impressions of the rod are kind of haphazardly put together. Nice try at department store high end, but the mtx and even the lsi models blows these away.

Don't be fooled by the 'shop wiggle'. I wiggled a S4 and didn't think it felt stiff. Changed my mind when casting it. That LSI is a pretty damn nice casting rod, eh?

For the price, the LSI seems like a sweet deal. They are on sale online for like $110 right now with $5 shipping. I don't need a 5 weight but getting a 6 for streamers at that price might not be bad. I did cast the LSI 5 weight outside of the store and it does load nicely but has delicate tip.

The LSi casts very well and I was close to pulling the trigger on an 11' 7wt but I am now going into another direction. I have been told on a few occasions that although tougher than the LST's they are still brittle hence why they are always on sale.

I am going with a Ross Reach 11'9' 7wt.

Owner of 3 broken ones so I'd say your info is spot on. Too bad because it was a nice casting rod.

Kray,

Which weight LSI did you own? The L-Tech seems to always be on sale too...they are downright feathers...I wonder if they are brittle too?

Had the LSI, FT+, PT+ and old fish eagle im6. All broke except the pt+ which I returned (wish it would have snapped). The ft might have been my favorite but it was discontinued. The LSI was a close second but did have problems. The lst is to be better / brittle issues addressed. I am not aware of any l-tech problems. Did you cast one? I didn't but was told its similar to a z-axis in action. Looks nice and reel seat is unusual. Take your reel and make sure it fits. For some reason it sticks in my mind that theres a model that won't hold a lamson reel or something like that.

Like Krayfish mentioned, take your reel with you. I casted the 8wt L-Tech and was impressed with it however my Ross Evo LT did not fit the reel seat. None of the USA made reels at the store fit either. The WLX fit perfect.

Back