Another Milestone...

Awesome fish man. I lost my big brookie this year so I'm probably screwed for another year or two hahaha.

As far as stream temps I'm sure you were fine. All temps I've taken fishing brookies the past 2 weeks have been in the low 60s at mid day.

Thanks dudes.

We started fishing about 815am and fished until 2ish. The air temp when I parked the truck was in the low 60*s and the water temp was right around the same - 62*. It rained the night enough to wet everything in the woods. I think this really woke the fish up as well as they were super active. I didnt check the temp at the end of the day, but I couldnt imagine it getting up above 64* or 65*.

The creek was lower than normal, but the water was still cold and flowing pretty well.

I wanna fish the stream again once the water levels go back up and see if I can spook up a few wild browns.

Cutoff at 65 degrees? Yinz guys are kooky.

Maurice, for native brookies only. I'll still fish at that temp, but they are just far less active.

steveo27 wrote:
The creek was lower than normal, but the water was still cold and flowing pretty well.
This describes the conditions on the streams I fished this summer. I only fish high gradient streams when conditions are like they are. These streams keep good water temps/volume because they are generally well shaded, and since they're high gradient the water moves more quickly, keeping it colder.

No brookie can be too big to be a gemmie, to me the bigger they are the more gemmie they are.

Back