Another Knot Thread

albatross

albatross

I've recently become interested in the Davey Knot. This is a tippet to fly knot which I've also used to tie a dropper off the bend of a hook. Its reasonably strong and quick and easy to tie. I tried it Sunday for the first time and landed 3 trout with no problems.

Here is a video and a diagram.

Any of you use this knot? How do you like it?

I'll give it a try.

I use the palomar and improved clinch knots for almost everything, but it's tough with tiny flies.

I use the improved clinch knot and am happy with it. I think it was on versus tv, a show called knot wars? Anyway the palomar was first and the improved clinch second in knot strength. It was a pretty interesting show!

I had troubles with the improved clinch. I struggle with tippet to fly knots. I lose a lot of fish to poor knots. I went from the improved clinch to the double clinch (trilene knot). For some reason the trilene seemed to work poorly with small diameter tippet. I think maybe I mess up when I tighten a clinch style knot???

I just switched to the Orvis knot the last time I went out. I didn't have any problems, and was surprised with how easy it was to tie when I got used to it. Have any of you used the Orvis knot?

http://www.orvis.com/orvis_assets/files/index.html

jpb5002 wrote:
I just switched to the Orvis knot the last time I went out. I didn't have any problems, and was surprised with how easy it was to tie when I got used to it. Have any of you used the Orvis knot?

I'm coming to the Davey Knot from the Ovis Knot. I agree the Orvis is not too bad to tie, but the Davey is surely simpler. I felt like I wasn't changing flies often enough to stumble into the right fly for the situation. I think if I change flies more often, untill I find what's working, I'll catch more fish in the long run. I'll concede the Davey is not the end-all be-all for knot strength, but its not bad at 85-90% line strength.

Does anyone else find themselves sticking with rig thats not producing because its too much trouble to re-rig?

That Davey knot is just a figure eight knot. The Orvis knot is the same knot with an extra twist at the end. What is an extra second to tie the Orvis knot when it is a better knot. Just my two cents.

Albatross,

I don't have any problems changing flies. But I mostly use just one. If I use a dropper, I make my top fly something that I'm pretty confident with and experiment with the dropper.

Another good idea is to get a leader and tie up a bunch of tandems before you hit the stream.

JB

I just learned the other day that the dropper is actually the top fly in a tandem rig. I guess that makes sense when considering the two while drifting under water.

I have been using the orvis knot about two weeks (give or take), including a day of steelheading, and have not had any knot troubles. How has that Davey Knot performed?

To tell you the truth JPB, I didn't have the nerve to try the Davey on steelhead. If I'd have thought about it, I probably would have gone to the Davey after I had landed my first steelhead of the day. I have caught a number of trout on the Davey and it is a little easier to tie than the Orvis.

So that makes the fly at the far end of the line the point fly?

Back