Annual license button

Looks like the display requirement may be going away which I can't help but think will ultimately hurt button sales and even regular license sales since it would enable those who fish without a license be indistinguishable from license holders:

Proposed by the PFBC today at the board meeting:

Also today, the board adopted a proposed rulemaking order which would eliminate the requirement that anglers display their fishing license on a hat, vest or other article of clothing when fishing.

The proposal would instead require anglers to have their fishing license in their possession when fishing and show it to a waterways conservation officer (WCO) when asked. The proposal also specifically allows anglers to keep a copy of their fishing license on a mobile device, which could then be shown to a WCO. If approved as a final rulemaking, the change would go into effect upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin

Bamboozle wrote:
Looks like the display requirement may be going away which I can't help but think will ultimately hurt button sales and even regular license sales since it would enable those who fish without a license be indistinguishable from license holders:

Proposed by the PFBC today at the board meeting:

Also today, the board adopted a proposed rulemaking order which would eliminate the requirement that anglers display their fishing license on a hat, vest or other article of clothing when fishing.

The proposal would instead require anglers to have their fishing license in their possession when fishing and show it to a waterways conservation officer (WCO) when asked. The proposal also specifically allows anglers to keep a copy of their fishing license on a mobile device, which could then be shown to a WCO. If approved as a final rulemaking, the change would go into effect upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin

I dont get it, what is the upside to not showing licenses? The only result I can see is exactly what you said, less people buying buttons and licenses, and more people fishing illegally.
Why would anyone have a problem with displaying a license is beyond me.

I was fishing DePuy creek in Livingstom Montana with my son when a local guide waded over and said " your from Pennsylvania " he said he saw my license on my vest. I guess we're the only state who has to display your license. He was originally from Pittsburgh but I didn't hold that against him.lol I like the idea of carrying your hunting license in your wallet so why not your fishing license.

I would love it if you could just keep your license on your phone. It's ridiculous that it's not an acceptable way to prove you're legal. That reminds me that my PA license got lost in the river a little while ago, I need to reprint it. It's time to get with the cell phone era.

ryansheehan wrote:
I would love it if you could just keep your license on your phone. It's ridiculous that it's not an acceptable way to prove you're legal.

The proposal also specifically allows anglers to keep a copy of their fishing license on a mobile device, which could then be shown to a WCO. If approved as a final rulemaking, the change would go into effect upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin

Bamboozle wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:
I would love it if you could just keep your license on your phone. It's ridiculous that it's not an acceptable way to prove you're legal.

The proposal also specifically allows anglers to keep a copy of their fishing license on a mobile device, which could then be shown to a WCO. If approved as a final rulemaking, the change would go into effect upon publication in the Pennsylvania Bulletin

Good underlining, I don't get your post.

In the decade or so I've been fishing in PA, I've never once had my fishing interrupted by a WCO to ask to see my license. This alone is a good enough reason for me to happily keep displaying. In fact, if they took the requirement away, I'd prob continue to display just for that reason.

I get a NY license every year and do a good amount of ww/boat fishing there. You get plenty of rangers stopping you or pulling up beside you just so you can dig your license out of your wallet and hold it up for them. No thanks.

Back