all tied out (for now)

flipnfly

flipnfly

ok so im trying to start my spring tying blitz but just cant seem to get into the rythm how often do you guys get like this? and how do you get your tying mojo back?

beer!

my finger is actually sore from smashing all the deer hair for my poppers today.
I used over 2 1/2 feet (by 3") of deer hair to make 20 flies. That's how you make deer hair float like a cork!!!

I watch sports. Unless it's a good game, I feel the need to do something else while watching. Tying usually works well.

Another way to get the tying mojo is to read a few articles about it.

I get the mojo back my trying to mimic a photo of some insect. First I research possible materials and then tinker.

A lot of "wasted flies" but great practice with new skills and dexterity, and every once in awhile I strike gold. aka killer pattern.

a lot of the stuff others have said helps.

One of the funnest events I have each year is having about 8-10 guys I fish with over. We play Texas Hold "Em with a 12 fly buy in. Once you get knocked out you have to start tying for the rest of the night. Usually we have homemade fishing trip videos playing from the previous year and plenty of beer - it is as fun as most trips during the year... Dang, I wish I was having one of these get togethers tonight! - cabin fever!

TDB,
That is an awesome idea............put some good tunes on and grab a beverage,that may getyou in the mood to tie....i thought i was gonna tie a lot today but way tooo much snow....my 7' cabelas spinning rod came in handy....i sliced some snow off the roof like a knife thru butter.

jeff

I usually just start tying something, and it kinda catches. Sometimes I'll pick something challenging that I have not tied before, or just try to make up a pattern. I'm usually rolling along soon enough and will move on to what I need to tie. I also will sometimes lay out and prep everything that I need for a dozen which is sort of like challenging myself to get through it. I like watching some of the better youtube vides for inspiration, but I find that I can spend hours watching someone else tie which is really not that productive.

I put on some music-today was Tom Waits and Coltrane-and just get at it. Musically it's sometimes like playing scales and on a good day it's like a improv jam with a life of its own.

I have to tie or my bins will be empty, Iput on brando oldtime radio shows and go to town.

Back