A FF 'Gear That Don't Work!' Top 10

x2.... the dinsmores egg shaped ones where you twist the bottom and the shot get lodged in there sideways and you need a pocket knife to pry it out, im getting mad thinking about it

Sometimes I think Loon UV Knot Sense sux.

It always stays a bit tacky even when you hit it with the UV light for like 10 seconds or more.

jjsjigs wrote:

It always stays a bit tacky even when you hit it with the UV light for like 10 seconds or more.

It is what it is. Personally, I dig it. It makes nice scud backs, it does remain kinda 'gummy' (I wouldn't call it tacky), but I don't have a problem with that. FWIW it does make knots stronger.

wsender wrote:
jjsjigs wrote:

It is what it is. Personally, I dig it. It makes nice scud backs, it does remain kinda 'gummy' (I wouldn't call it tacky), but I don't have a problem with that. FWIW it does make knots stronger.

I don't see how it would add much strength to the knot but meh. I am going to put it on my knots on my hand tied leaders so crap quits getting tangled up. Wonder how much it will impact drift? We'll see.

Re: gummy/tacky sit it outside in the sun and let the UV rays cook it all day. works like a charm. otherwise the cool gloss on the scud back gets all matte translucency when you fiddle with it.

Coat it with clear sally hansens.

Sunscreen below spf 50...I still burn

TimMurphy wrote:
Dear Board,

While they are hardly totally useless I'd vote for a landing net. I have two beautiful hardwood nets, one an old style net with the cotton bag and the other is a a catch and release style net.

I just don't particularly care for the hassle of carrying them. If I de-barbed my fly properly I can often simply grab the fly and twist or shake the fish off the hook without really having to handle them.

Maybe if I caught more 20 inch fish I'd feel differently, but I rarely see the need for one?

I had to tie 8 nail knots in fairly short order recently to rig up several multi-tip lines. I started out using a nail knot tool but quickly switched over to tying uni-knots by hand because I was more used to doing them that way.

If you tie your own leaders I think the Dennison blood knot tool is indispensable when you are working with 15# test lines and higher, but for the lighter stuff not so much.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Tim

I agree, I also have two nets and don't ever use either. Over the years I have bought a bunch of accessorics that haven't been worth a darn...wish I had all the money back!

PaulG

PaulG wrote:

I agree, I also have two nets and don't ever use either. Over the years I have bought a bunch of accessorics that haven't been worth a darn...wish I had all the money back!

Everyone buys stuff they wish they hadn't. This is America and we buy stuff purely because we can. The best example is probably fitness equipment. Probably the biggest market of dust collection in the world because the people that buy most of the stuff are middle aged people who want to get tone so they use it for 2 weeks then leave it alone for years until it goes into the yard sale.

Everyone in the forum should get all the stuff they don't use and put it into boxes and donate it to goodwill or something. Or just bring it to a gathering where it can be traded for some other useless stuff we wont use :).

Glow in the Dark gooh! I thought, great I can now nymph fish at night when the big boys are out, of course you need to carry a UV source and a 100 ft extension cord!

Foxgap239 wrote:
Glow in the Dark gooh! I thought, great I can now nymph fish at night when the big boys are out, of course you need to carry a UV source and a 100 ft extension cord!

Much more effective and much lower shock hazard.

Attachments

• uvminilamp1LG.jpg
    uvminilamp1LG.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 2
jdaddy wrote:
tomitrout wrote:
always thought these things were kinda ghey:

Lamson-Ketchum-Release-Tool

Agreed as a separate tool, but some hemostats have the same little apparatus attached to the end which does the exact same thing and is quite handy.

I need to find these, I saw J had some and I liked them. I need some nice hemos. I've always bought the cheap ones in the bins at the check out, but it's time to upgrade I think.

tomitrout wrote:
always thought these things were kinda ghey:

Lamson-Ketchum-Release-Tool
Big waste of money IMO. I bought one at half price. Not as easy to use as advertised. I no longer carry mine. Some may have a different experience than me but IMO it's worthless!

wsender wrote:
I need some nice hemos. I've always bought the cheap ones in the bins at the check out, but it's time to upgrade I think.

Sierra Trading Post during free shipping. Load up on Dr Slicks at $3-4 each.

Edit: Ask and ye shall received. Now go to fatwallet or slickdeals and get coupon codes for another 30% off and free ship.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/4550_b-dr-slick-co/3715M_p-dr-slick-co-slick-release-clamp-curved-tip-fly-fishing/

BTW, they have bead tweezers there too which are pretty damn handy.

Edit Edit: PDN5464F gets you 35% moar off. No free shipping right now.

jdaddy wrote:
wsender wrote:
I need some nice hemos. I've always bought the cheap ones in the bins at the check out, but it's time to upgrade I think.

Sierra Trading Post during free shipping. Load up on Dr Slicks at $3-4 each.

Edit: Ask and ye shall received. Now go to fatwallet or slickdeals and get coupon codes for another 30% off and free ship.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/outdoors/4550_b-dr-slick-co/3715M_p-dr-slick-co-slick-release-clamp-curved-tip-fly-fishing/

BTW, they have bead tweezers there too which are pretty damn handy.

Edit Edit: PDN5464F gets you 35% moar off. No free shipping right now.

Solid bro. Solid.

Say, do you watch extreme couponing?

jdaddy wrote:
wsender wrote:
jjsjigs wrote:

I don't see how it would add much strength to the knot but meh. I am going to put it on my knots on my hand tied leaders so crap quits getting tangled up. Wonder how much it will impact drift? We'll see.

Re: gummy/tacky sit it outside in the sun and let the UV rays cook it all day. works like a charm. otherwise the cool gloss on the scud back gets all matte translucency when you fiddle with it.

this is good stuff... on both ends. Never thought of the knot-use to avoid tangles when I apathetically leave a little too much tag after a surgeon.

Sierra trading post today. Use NWA1073Y for 30% off and free shipping. Dr Slick hemos for $3. Lot of other deals depending upon your size. All you guys with size 7 feet and xs waists should clean up.

Nice pull (jdad) w/the Sierra Trading stuff; i gotta hit them up more
often for their 'bushel-basket' style sell-offs. Speaking of sell-offs, i picked up a pair of black schnipps with a tiny magnifying glass attatched. Not sure who manufacturer was (Orvis, maybe) as
they came in a litttle unmarked ziplock bag culled from a plastic tub marked "SALE". At any rate, they sucked. The clipper part sucked, the magnifying lens sucked, & they were unwieldly (which sucked).
If the point of dark colored line nippers, or black hemos, etc is to
diminish noticeable flash on our vests/outerwear, then why have black schnipps with a highly reflective evil-eye attatched, just a danglin' there like a rediculously small FF monocle? Just gives fish MORE reason to laugh at us, imo.

My first pair of cheap rubber wading boots that I bought when I started.... I almost broke my neck every time I stepped in the stream... I had no idea the difference between that, felt, or studs..

Back