A Day of Brookie Fishing

All that I was concerned about was that you swung it over to you and then appeared to grasp it with your dry hands.If you believe the fish was not harmed that's okay.
Other than that I enjoyed your post and pictures.

Fair enough ;)

I usually try not to swing them over like that, but I tend to get lazy with the smaller fish. I've lost plenty of fish doing that as well (including my would-have-been biggest native ever), another reason to avoid doing that in the future. Sometimes they'll pop off as soon as you touch the line if they're just hanging there.

This same day I flung a 2" chub back over my head by accident. lol poor thing hit right when I started picking up line for the next cast and got taken along for the ride!

Grasping a fish with a dry hand is not going to kill it... yea everyone knows that is removes its protective slime and is then susceptible to infection... but really the fish is going to re produce that slime in a relatively short amount of time. the real threat to the fish is if you remove its scales. then it is wide open to infection..

Back