40% off all sale prices at Orvis stores - ex rod, reel, furniture

jdaddy

jdaddy

Given the limited inventory of the Downingtown Orvis store the value of this sale is diminished, however they are providing 40% off all sale prices excluding rods, reels and furniture.

Notable sale items:

Orvis Silver Label, Tailwaters and Pro Guide 3 waders and hip waders

Orvis Warmwater big bug line ($24!) and gen 3 floating spey line ($12!)

Renzetti Presentation Vise $185!

Safe Passage Sling Pack $24

Good luck finding things in stock!

jdaddy wrote:
Safe Passage Sling Pack $24

If you can't wear a chest pack coz its awkward, and you're won't wear a fanny pack because its called a fanny pack, this thing is awesome. And a steal at $24.

I was planning on heading down today or tomorrow to have a rod repaired. I'm hoping the little they have down there isn't picked over...

I like that sling as well. I don't like it being designed to go over the right shoulder, seems it would interfere with casting a bit. Opinions?

As a righty, not at all.

I've had it for about two years now, and I tend to leave it slung low alot, and would think it'd be a bigger hassle if I were a lefty.

Is it just at the Downingtown location? What about A Sporting Lifestyle?

I like that sling as well. I don't like it being designed to go over the right shoulder, seems it would interfere with casting a bit. Opinions?

I had the same concern. However, I've used the pack for several all-day excursions this year and no discomfort so far. I was able to fit just about everything I had in my vest into this pack.

The only real problem with the pack is the plastic clasp that keeps the extra pouch/pocket attached. From what I've read these packs orignally had a velcro patch for attaching this pouch but that didn't work well so orvis went to a plastic clasp. However, the clasp is only so-so. I've managed to knock it loose a couple times so I've tied a piece of nylon cord through the attachment so that the pouch won't fall off if the clasps gives out.

Although this pack is not perfect, I like it. I don't think I will be going back to a vest any time soon. The sling pack is really nice on warmer days and it actually restricts my movement *less* that a similarly loaded vest. All my gear is on my back while fishing or moving around rather than in my armpits, on my chest, etc. like it would be with a vest.

Given the clasp issue and the fact that there are only a couple places to attach dangling items, I will be on the look out for an improved but similar pack.

For now the Orvis sling pack suites me.

If you are a minimalist, small stream guy, or any other angler who only needs a few items, this pack may be perfect fore you. You might not even need the attached pouch!

Kev

I've been using that sling pack for several years now and I like it. I cannot wear those bulky chest packs. This suits me just fine. I did have to modify it slightly though. The small pack that is attached would flop around too much for me, so I had to sew the corners down to make it more stable. I also added a foam fly holder to one of the small pockets. It was lacking that IMO. I was able to get it for $25 (half-off) with those coupons they send out on occassion that are $25 off any $50+ purchase. Not bad for that price.

I keep the removable pouch on a carabiner, and either attach it to my wading belt, or let it hang on the front strap. Actually, I usually don't bother with it at all, but I've played with both those options.

It was actually designed to snap off, and clip onto the webbing that's built on the shoulder strap to act as a front pack portion, which I don't do, either, usually just leaving it off completely.

Additionally, I've got a few keychain split rings hooked trhough the webbing loops on the strap and one through the pliers tiedown on the back, a carabiner slung through the "dropper loop," and one on the strap d-ring. I don't really lack for places to tie things down to, it was just a matter of figuring out how to best use the resources they give you to work with.

Because I don't want to be at work, when I'm off this call I'm basically ignoring (ooh, switches!), I'll go outside and snap a picture to explain.
4866239442_c981c7b1ee.jpg

(you can see the small pack in the corner, and a bit of the belt. I've basically stripped down to just that little section when I'm fishing the river here for bass and I know I don't need very much at all)

Slings are $39 per Orvis site. Where did you get $24??? I'll take one for that.

wait till they have the 25 off 50 sale and pick up some cliff boxes. They're a great deal at $25, but you can't beat them at $12

LL,

Looks like the corporate stores have additional sale pricing on already sale-priced items.

I have the feeling their trying to clear out stock for new models.

I bought the safe passage backpack last year. That thing is sweet. I got it to use for hiking/fishing and to replace my ancient TNF backpack I had since high school. I used it to haul gear on vacation last year and had a hard time finding things to put in it. I just recently got a 2 liter water bladder for it as well. Very comfortable. I think they changed that model earlier this year as well. I was on sale when I bought it.

Anyone get down there to check out inventory? I may head down tomorrow, but just wondering what deals were found? Under separate post someone mentioned 12 free flies coupon on page 67 of the new Summer 2010 catalog. I think the flies and the sale are worth the drive down.

It was mainly just clothes. Most of the fishing gear was regular price. There were a few tying items on clearance that I bought, but probably didn't need.

IMO, you're better off waiting till the $25 off 50 coupons go out. You usually get two of them and can use them on anything in the store

It was mainly just clothes. Most of the fishing gear was regular price. There were a few tying items on clearance that I bought, but probably didn't need.

IMO, you're better off waiting till the $25 off 50 coupons go out. You usually get two of them and can use them on anything in the store

Ya, but even if it is not marked as such, items that are on sale on the website usually ring up at the sale price in the store. For example, I would suspect that the sling pack on sale for $39 would ring up as $39 - 40% even though still marked as regular price.

Back