4 wt or 5 wt

post script: the #/# designation oft meant DT/WF. no one mentioned that. you could've had that arguement span several more pages if you had.

Keith, I'd be happy to fish with you, if the chance ever arises. My fishing time is pretty lean right now. My next shot is probably the octoberfest jam thingy, and I'm 50/50. You should go to that either way....

Thanks, Pcray. I'm not too sure, but the White Clay seems a little far. I'm looking at it, though.

I thought it was further west. Now a distinct possibility.

KeithS wrote:
They are unmarked blanks. The shopowner where I bought them, 20 some years ago, estimated their weights. They're both graphite. They flex fairly far into the blank. He was pretty accurate. I've been fishing both all summer.
You're over my head with the rest of your post.

No need to complicate things - the 5wt should work well for trout.

NOT to complicate things....lol, but from your description of the blank (if the fly shop owner was correct) Sage, > 20 years old, moderate action ("flex fairly far into the blank") - I would guess the rod would be a Sage Light Line. A GREAT mid-action rod coveted by many anglers. Is it plum/maroon colored?

No need to complicate things - the 5wt should work well for trout.

NOT to complicate things....lol, but from your description of the blank (if the fly shop owner was correct) Sage, > 20 years old, moderate action ("flex fairly far into the blank") - I would guess the rod would be a Sage Light Line. A GREAT mid-action rod coveted by many anglers. Is it plum/maroon colored?

You might call it plum. I never really checked. Always thought brown, but you may be right.
I'll check @ lunch. They stay in the car.

I just checked. they're both brown.
Thought I may have something good there.

KeithS wrote:
I just checked. they're both brown.
Thought I may have something good there.

Keith,

From the same time frame, >20 years, Sage made rods that were brown in color. Early to mid 80's it was the RP (Reserved Power) and later the RPL (Reserved Power Light). They were the faster line of rods when compared to the LL (Light Line).

No need to worry about labels. If the rods cast well........they cast well.

The 8 1/2 ft, for 5/6 wt is fine. I think that's BETTER than a 4 wt for all around use.

Since you said it seems "soft," use a 5 wt. line, rather than a 6 wt line.

Back