4 PIECES

I've got a rod that's gone to the beach a few times, there's some wicked grooves cut into the expoxy under the ferrule from sand getting stuck ni there when puttig it on or off.

I've got another rod that hte tip when flying off mid cast because I never waxed it. It didn't break, but its got a click in it when I cast that probably marks it as a matter of time.

You're damned if you do, damned if you don't. I wax my ferrules though because the sight of 4' of rod tip shooting off down the line wasn't something I care to see again. Wax helsp me break the pieces apart in the cold weather when its starting to freeze up, and if I remember to just lightly rub my fingers over the male end, any major grit will get brushed off.

Well, I've never waxed my ferrules. Never had a ferrule on a graphite rod wear out or get stuck.

The boo is a bit of a different story. Got it stuck twice, and one of those times the female portion slid off the rod before separating from the male portion. The maker has since put a pin in it for me and I haven't had a problem since. I was told explicitly to never wax metal ferrules and to clean them often.

pcray1231 wrote:
Well, I've never waxed my ferrules. Never had a ferrule on a graphite rod wear out or get stuck.

The boo is a bit of a different story. Got it stuck twice, and one of those times the female portion slid off the rod before separating from the male portion. The maker has since put a pin in it for me and I haven't had a problem since. I was told explicitly to never wax metal ferrules and to clean them often.

Yeah, to be clear NEVER wax metal ferrules like the ones found on boo rods. Wax works on graphite or fiberglass rods w/o metal ferrules.

afishinado wrote:
Yeah, to be clear NEVER wax metal ferrules like the ones found on boo rods. Wax works on graphite or fiberglass rods w/o metal ferrules.

Was wondering...NEver wax spigot ferrules, just metal spigot ferrules, or just bamboo spigot ferrules?

Alot of fiberglass rods come with spigot ferrules or butt over tip ferrules, am I supposed to or not supposed to wax them.

This is a good topic. What I'm getting from a combination of this thread and googling.:

Metal ferrules such as on bamboo:
Never wax. Be vigilant about cleaning, these are tight fitting ferrules and have to be perfect to work correctly, so extra care is required. dry q-tip is fine. If especially dirty, use some rubbing alcohol but be careful not to get it on the varnish of the bamboo itself. I did find one reference to using not wax, but lubricants, such as silicon grease or graphite powder, but using these means being even more vigilant about cleaning. Most stuck ferrules are the result of twisting when seating the ferrule, or else excess dirt, and lubricants in general are likely to increase this problem!

Tip over butt:
You'll hear people say each way. Generally, its not needed. However, proper use of waxes/lubricants will extend the life of the ferrule. But improper use will shorten the life of the ferrule.

If you don't use wax or lubricants, you still need to clean the ferrules periodically, male portion with a soft cloth and female portion with a q-tip. Rubbing alcohol is ok.

If you do wax, use something such as paraffin, candle, or beeswax. You must clean all of the wax off after every few uses and reapply. Otherwise it attracts dirt which will shorten the life of the ferrule. Other lubricants, like silicon grease, are preferable to wax but the same applies. Body/nose oil, and petroulem jelly (Vaseline) are used commonly but its a mistake, the oils especially attract dirt, and in some cases already contain it.

Haven't found anything regarding non-metal spigot ferrules, but it seems like the same should apply as tip over butt.

Here's an oldie but goodie about spigot ferrules:

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=1287&forum=3&post_id=9701#forumpost9701

BTW, I do miss Pad on the site. Also what ever happened to Bamboozle, Wulff-Man, and Capt Matt???

Huh, I've been under the impression sleeve and spigots were interchangable, I didn't realize that spigots were actually additional pieces of material.

Those were a couple of helpful posts.

Back