3 v. 4wt

fishbaithohaha

fishbaithohaha

I am considering purchasing either a moderately priced 3 or 4 wt rod. I would be using the rod to fish dry flies and nymphs, on smaller streams, in PA, WV and TN. Confused by various permutations: wt, length, no of pieces.

What is assestment of 3 v. 4 and advice?

I think a 7' 6" 3wt is a fantastic small stream rod. However it is out of place on larger streams except for some dry fly fishing or when conditions are very low and very clear. Also, I'm not a fan of using rods in this length and weight configuration for any sort of serious nymph or streamer fishing. It gets it done on small water though since you generally don't need to add much weight to your rig to fish subsurface and the 7' 6" length provides enough reach.

A 7' 6" or 8' 4wt is a better rod for summer conditions on mid sized streams, but also does fine for small streams. Especially, when fishing with a little weight on your leader (nymphs & streamers). An 8' 4wt is a pretty versatile rod if you aren't doing much fishing on streams more than 30ft wide or during high flows.

Kev

Once you get below a 4 wt it becomes a challenge to roll cast and wind becomes more of a factor. When in doubt I reach for the heavier rod.

In general a 4wt is the lightest good all around rod. Gary Lafontaine was known to use a Sage 8' 9" LL 3wt for all of his trout fishing. But I think that was an exceptional 3wt and Gary lived in Montana.

It all depends on what you consider a smaller stream. On some "smaller" streams my 7' 9" 3wt is perfect on others it is too long and doesn't have the punch to get a wulff style fly up under the rhododendron.

My favorite small stream rods are 6' 3" and 6' 6" 4wts.

For me the lighter light weights (2-3 wt) work better with longer rod lengths. I have a 6' 6" 2wt and a 6' 0" 3wt and my 4wts are much better in that length.

I'm define small streams as 10-20 feet wide, shorter-shallower pools. Envision casting casting 18-20 dries and nymphs on long leaders.

Summarizing everyones advice, 4 weight, 7-8' length.
2 or 4 piece?

fishbaithohaha wrote:
I'm define small streams as 10-20 feet wide, shorter-shallower pools. Envision casting casting 18-20 dries and nymphs on long leaders.

Summarizing everyones advice, 4 weight, 7-8' length.
2 or 4 piece?

A 4 piece will be easier to pack if you plan on hiking in.

I purchased a sage TXL F 3wt 6' 10" 4 piece last spring. I use it on streams like Clark's Creek. It is extremely light and great to roll cast up to 30 feet. If you plan on nymphing I would stronly recommend something longer to reach around and across the streams. I think if I had to do it agian I would have gone with a 7' 10" 3wt. However I do like the rod for the smaller stream fishing in upstate NY. I hope my next rod will be a 1 or 2 wt 7 to 8 foot rod for small brook trout fishing in central/northern PA.

I like the idea of a 4pc for hiking in. Would a 4 pc be stronger than a 2?

One of my favorite small stream rods is a Sage "TXL" 7 foot 4 weight. It does it all on small streams. It will cast a dry fly, nymph, wet fly or streamer with equal ease. I do have several smaller 3 weight rods and one 2 weight. I would consider those as more specialty rods. The 4 weights are better for all around use.

Thanks for all your advice. I've decided on 4 wt, 4 pc, 7'-6" or 8-0. Now, a visit to the sponsors to cast a couple of different brands/models and make a purchase.

Again, thank you.

fishbaithohaha wrote:
Thanks for all your advice. I've decided on 4 wt, 4 pc, 7'-6" or 8-0. Now, a visit to the sponsors to cast a couple of different brands/models and make a purchase.

Again, thank you.

Good choice. Good luck with it.

Back